PDA

View Full Version : power steering problems.

rocketdent
05-03-2011, 07:48 PM
this friend of mine is having ps problems in his late model.

has had the car for year with no problems. he originally had sweet rack and front mount sweet ps pump. through a race lost power steering. so he talked to few people and everyone said was pump most likely. so he changed that. put on a borrowed krc and that wouldnt do anything. so he put his sweet back on.

then he put a (was told new) but im not sure if new or meant (new different) pump. also a sweet front mount and it lasted one race and 3 laps.

so we put a (again "new" or new different, not sure) appleton rack that lasted 1.5 nights then lost power steering again. it worked mint on fri night slick smooth track.
raced sat night on rougher muddy track and lap 7 or so lost ps.
that night i did notice ps fluid was filled to full (1 inch from top, not top of return line hole) the fluid was also real slightly boiling. few tiny bubbles popping up. tank was way hot.

next day we cranked car up and got nothing. no ps. i drained the fluid in tank to even with return line hole and fired it up. (oops) it splashed everywhere. so fluid is moving. did over full have anything to do with it?

we are lost on what it can be. we did jack up front wheels, straightened up tires and started it up. the tires didnt pull to either side.

my friend put a gauge on discharge side of pump. no pressure just sitting there but when turn left or right it jumps to 1500 psi.

any ideas on what it can be?

thanks.

362CID
05-06-2011, 08:29 AM
If you dont have around 1200 to 1400 or so lbs of pressure at idle then the pump is bad......

grasshopper
05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Trying replacing the pressure relief valve in the pump it fixed ours

rocketdent
05-15-2011, 07:18 PM
thanks. we put new pump on and now it works. sending other off to get it rebuilt.

Egoracing
05-15-2011, 08:46 PM
If you are boiling the fluid you are more than likley cooking the pumps you are putting on. Check to make sure that the lines are clear of the headers or brake heat and that the pumps is not running to fast. What type of fluid are you using??