PDA

View Full Version : old camaro limited late model help

oldnelly87
05-03-2011, 08:13 PM
i just bought an old camaro limted late model car to run in a super stock class. ive never ran a leaf car. the rules allow a pan hard bar and pull rods can pretty much do anything to the chassis. alot of the cars in the class are pulling the left front wheel off the ground. im needing some suggestions to make the car fast and hook? im running a 700 gear like my old car had and i run a dpi platuim track in the rear ive had good luck with it. it has the landrum multi leafs and they are chrysler but i have no clue how to check the raits on a leaf car.. i run a 1/4 dirt track

dirty white boy
05-03-2011, 11:53 PM
see fastboys thread in OWM tech section.... http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?197707-FastBoys-Leaf-setup(-Info-)

charcoal01
05-04-2011, 10:08 AM
you wanting to keep it leaf? i run a 2 link camaro front clip car, raced against quiet a few leaf cars. you can keep up in the mud but the setup i'm running now eats leaf cars alive in the slick. pm me if you'd like some help.

Graff Spee
05-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Float the axle and put a pull bar in it! 27 inch pull bar down 18 degrees in front. Leaf springs with rear mounted 9 inches higher in rear than front.

oldnelly87
05-28-2011, 05:41 PM
what will that do for me ? and where do i get roller bearings to float the rear for a leaf car? i seen the guy that runs up front in my class runs a 4 link on the left side and a leaf on the right rear im not sure what that does or if anybody else is doing it.

dirty white boy
05-29-2011, 01:28 PM
what will that do for me ? and where do i get roller bearings to float the rear for a leaf car? i seen the guy that runs up front in my class runs a 4 link on the left side and a leaf on the right rear im not sure what that does or if anybody else is doing it.its not a roller barring,..www.racemart.com its a modified clamp on leaf perch,works good! thay got the re-worked leafs too,..good luck

Dirtrunner35
05-29-2011, 05:01 PM
http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=2154

A pull bar will limit the wrap

dirty white boy
05-29-2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=2154

A pull bar will limit the wrap

nice peace,..race mart got the one that look like regular perch for no floating rules...

oldnelly87
05-30-2011, 12:40 PM
is that bad that the pull rod limits wrap up? or does that keep the rear end from moving to much seens its floated ? im new too this stuff so

dirty white boy
06-01-2011, 01:44 PM
is that bad that the pull rod limits wrap up? or does that keep the rear end from moving to much seens its floated ? im new too this stuff so
scooter may,..the "father" of fastboys,..an many others sware to stay away from pull bar....but idk!

oldnelly87
06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
scooter may,..the "father" of fastboys,..an many others sware to stay away from pull bar....but idk!

i know ill havent to have somthing on their wont i to limited the movment of the rearend seens im going to float it ?

Dirtrunner35
06-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I put the fast boys on my stock car and had a pull bar, it did great. Then I bought a mod that was a mono leaf car, and put the fast boys on it. I left the fifth coil on it and it did ok. Then I took off the fifth coil ( pull bar ) and couldn't believe how much more forward bite I got.

oldnelly87
06-05-2011, 12:25 AM
I put the fast boys on my stock car and had a pull bar, it did great. Then I bought a mod that was a mono leaf car, and put the fast boys on it. I left the fifth coil on it and it did ok. Then I took off the fifth coil ( pull bar ) and couldn't believe how much more forward bite I got.

if i dont use a pull rod what will keep the rearend from moving to much and knocking off the drive shaft ? seens the rearend is floating.

Dirtrunner35
06-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Do what the fast boy thread says, Take and cut the bands off and move the 2nd leaf down
(the one next to the main ) and redrill the center hole 3"s back ( moving the front of it forward). Now take the 3rd
leaf and turn it around 180 (front to back) and use the same hole. Now take the 4th small leaf and throw it away.
While you have it apart you will see that the main leaf doesn't have enough arche in it. I like to rearch it so that
when it is standing on the floor with the eyes down it is about 7 or 8"s tall at the center pin. Only put the arch in the
front of the spring (from the eye forward).also I like to add some arch from the pin forward in the other 2 leafs also.
When you bolt it back together only band the front of the spring (not the back).

The spring will limit the axle from moving. I had a single mono leaf with 2 front halfs of 2 leafs spring on mine. So three total on the front, thats all I had.

oldnelly87
06-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Do what the fast boy thread says, Take and cut the bands off and move the 2nd leaf down
(the one next to the main ) and redrill the center hole 3"s back ( moving the front of it forward). Now take the 3rd
leaf and turn it around 180 (front to back) and use the same hole. Now take the 4th small leaf and throw it away.
While you have it apart you will see that the main leaf doesn't have enough arche in it. I like to rearch it so that
when it is standing on the floor with the eyes down it is about 7 or 8"s tall at the center pin. Only put the arch in the
front of the spring (from the eye forward).also I like to add some arch from the pin forward in the other 2 leafs also.
When you bolt it back together only band the front of the spring (not the back).

The spring will limit the axle from moving. I had a single mono leaf with 2 front halfs of 2 leafs spring on mine. So three total on the front, thats all I had.

do i need to put anything on the sides of the floater brackets ? so the rearend doesnt move side to side ?

Dirtrunner35
06-23-2011, 07:49 PM
http://www.southwestspeed.com/index.php?sec=view_part&id=2354

oldnelly87
06-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Float the axle and put a pull bar in it! 27 inch pull bar down 18 degrees in front. Leaf springs with rear mounted 9 inches higher in rear than front.

were you wanting me to float both axles or just one ?

Dirtrunner35
06-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Only the right side.

oldnelly87
06-30-2011, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=Dirtrunner35;1398941]Only the right side.[/QUOT
so im going to float the right side and flop the leafs around. i know a guy that floated both sides and put a pull bar on he said it didnt work out.

Dirtrunner35
07-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Yes floating both sides is wrong. You only want the axle wrap to be on the left side.

oldnelly87
08-16-2011, 08:27 PM
had a setup put on the car simialur to the fastboy set up but i dont have a floater on it or the floped left leaf and the coil over spring slider on the right rear. im having a problem getting traction the track i run on is dry and slick 1/4mile . the car spins hard when i get on it and wants to pull to the bottom of the track in the corners.
it has a 1000 LF spring 1250rf
225 leaf lr 175rr coil
totol weight is 2850
left 53.5
Rear 52.1
rear bite 268 he told me too run about 1 1/2 rear stagger 1/4 toe on it and im running hooser e-mod D tires on it soft compound

he didnt give me the cross weight so i wont know till i put it on the scales again just need to know if im going in the right direction he didnt want me putting the floater on it till im used to running this setup. im thinking my springs need to be alot softer but im not sure

Dirtrunner35
08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
268 left rear bite over the rr??? The d's will burn up on the RR, what tire pressures are you running?? You say the car spins hard!! When you are already sideways and you hit the gas ??

oldnelly87
08-16-2011, 09:45 PM
im not sure my paper just says rear bite i did not set it up. any time i hit the gas it spins it hard cant get a bite like in my hot laps i guned it and i was on the same line as the car in front of me i just spun to beat hell and it wanted to pull the the bottom of the track in the corner . i had As on theright rear so i put ds back on. im running 12 pounds in the left front 14 in right front 16 in right rear 13 in left rear. im just trying to get a idea what to do the guy that set it up isnt around right now.

Dirtrunner35
08-17-2011, 09:15 PM
I know where I run The track dries out and I run the bottom, where some moisture is. Slick track is like asphalt a lot of throttle control. I would leave the A on the RR. My pressures are 8-10 on the left, rf 13-14 and RR 11 -13 depending on how rough the track is.

- Over inflated tires will be loose with little traction, “on top of the track”
c. Standard IMCA Modified setup:
- Heavy Track - 15 right side, 12 left side
- Slick Track – 14 right front, 10 left front, 13 right rear, 8 left rear

dirty white boy
08-18-2011, 02:37 AM
had a setup put on the car simialur to the fastboy set up but i dont have a floater on it or the floped left leaf and the coil over spring slider on the right rear. im having a problem getting traction the track i run on is dry and slick 1/4mile . the car spins hard when i get on it and wants to pull to the bottom of the track in the corners.
it has a 1000 LF spring 1250rf
225 leaf lr 175rr coil
totol weight is 2850
left 53.5
Rear 52.1
rear bite 268 he told me too run about 1 1/2 rear stagger 1/4 toe on it and im running hooser e-mod D tires on it soft compound

he didnt give me the cross weight so i wont know till i put it on the scales again just need to know if im going in the right direction he didnt want me putting the floater on it till im used to running this setup. im thinking my springs need to be alot softer but im not sure

if your left leaf's ant been flipped an re arched according to fastboys an not floated then your not doing it fastboy style at all,...also scooter sware's by floating the left brake caliper an the fine art of trail braking in to the corners.....an maintenanceing the leaf's to extreams!! or replace often...this set up also likes a deffernt driveing style too,...back on gas fast an hard!!an car go tight on gas! when its right,..left front be 2 feet off ground an left leaf will look like it gonna shot out from under car!!! if your on dry slick alot an not in love with leaf's,...might wanta try a 3 link or sumtin.....takes a lot to get fastboys right....

oldnelly87
08-21-2011, 08:30 PM
I know where I run The track dries out and I run the bottom, where some moisture is. Slick track is like asphalt a lot of throttle control. I would leave the A on the RR. My pressures are 8-10 on the left, rf 13-14 and RR 11 -13 depending on how rough the track is.

- Over inflated tires will be loose with little traction, “on top of the track”
c. Standard IMCA Modified setup:
- Heavy Track - 15 right side, 12 left side
- Slick Track – 14 right front, 10 left front, 13 right rear, 8 left rear

what rates of springs would you recomend for a dry slick track
i was thinking 950left front 1000 right front and 200 leaf and a 175 coil over rr

Dirtrunner35
08-23-2011, 09:30 PM
700 gear, ever tried a different gear

oldnelly87
09-24-2011, 06:21 PM
i have my car with some what of the fastboy setup it looks just like it scooters pics with out the right rear floater and the brake floaters . im having problems with it pushing hard in the center of the corners if i float it will that make it not push? im not carring the Lf wheel at all. in the hot laps if i come out real hard sometimes it huver. im new to this setup and dont know alot about it. The guy that did the work for me said he didnt think i was ready to put floaters on it till i learned how to drive it. im used to driving a street stock and this has to be drove like a mod or a late model im told. i just need some help idk if i should float it and redo the left rear spring or leave it alone. i know the guy told me they ran this setup i have now on their limited late models in the 80s its just pretty much a none floated fastboy setup.

Dirtrunner35
09-25-2011, 06:28 PM
If it's not floated it's not a fast boy. How are you driving the car, are you driving it in or sliding it in?? Air pressures ? Shocks? If your driving it in and then getting on the gas, that could be why you are pushing. You could add stagger or less cross.

oldnelly87
09-25-2011, 08:27 PM
im running it in hard and burping the gas and back on hard here is the setup on it. its too tight to slide in . pushing bad in the center of the turn and im rolling the right front tire on the sidewall. it only does this on a dry slick track. tacky wet its the fastest car on the track.

54.83 left%
50.53 cross
56.42 rear
168 rear bite
shocks are lf 76 rf 78
lr 96 rr 95
my feacher tire pressures are
lf 10.5 rf 13.5
lr 9.5 rr 11.5
108 1/2 left side wheel base 108 right side
2ich offset in front wheels 4 in rear about 1" of stagger in front 1 1/2 rear and 3/4 out toe on front
i got told i need to run it like a mod or a late model. not a stock car

Dirtrunner35
09-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Yes your driving style could have a lot to do with it. Ok, I wouldn't have a 78 shock on rf, it will make a car tighter on entry, I would use a 75. To me, the rear shocks seem a little stiff, but they might work for you. The wheel base, longer on the left side, will make a tight car both on entry and exit. Make it even or longer on the right side. Less cross, more stagger, more air in RR tire. Do you run bleeders?

My Rf tire will roll over also if I drive it in off the gas, turn then get on the gas but if I go in on the gas and slide it in, the RF is ok.

sj valley dave
09-27-2011, 12:51 PM
The car seems really stiffly sprung...When we had a fabricated Super Stock Camaro at 3000 lbs we ran 750/800 lb front springs and 200/175 rear leafs...75/74 front shocks...and 73/74 type in the back. Shorten the left side to 108 and lengthen right side to 108 1/4 or 108 1/2 That is killing you right now...IMO

oldnelly87
09-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Yes your driving style could have a lot to do with it. Ok, I wouldn't have a 78 shock on rf, it will make a car tighter on entry, I would use a 75. To me, the rear shocks seem a little stiff, but they might work for you. The wheel base, longer on the left side, will make a tight car both on entry and exit. Make it even or longer on the right side. Less cross, more stagger, more air in RR tire. Do you run bleeders?

My Rf tire will roll over also if I drive it in off the gas, turn then get on the gas but if I go in on the gas and slide it in, the RF is ok.

no i dont run bleeders what rear shocks should i run i was thinking about switching to bilsteins and running their dry slick package for a leaf mod they seem to be alot softer. i moved my rearend to 108 on the left and 109 on the right today im going to see how that works out this weekend.

oldnelly87
09-27-2011, 07:37 PM
The car seems really stiffly sprung...When we had a fabricated Super Stock Camaro at 3000 lbs we ran 750/800 lb front springs and 200/175 rear leafs...75/74 front shocks...and 73/74 type in the back. Shorten the left side to 108 and lengthen right side to 108 1/4 or 108 1/2 That is killing you right now...IMO
wont i get alot of bouce with that light of springs on the front ? i thought about putting a 950 and 1000 on the front but ive only ran it about 4 times now.

Dirtrunner35
09-27-2011, 08:51 PM
One inch is a lot , try about a half inch or less. Or just try it in hot laps and see how it does.It's really hard to say what your car needs for your driving style. Change the RF shock and try it.

sj valley dave
09-28-2011, 03:21 PM
I agree, 1" is huge, start out with 1/2" longer on right side...With a good shock package we never encountered any excessive bounce in the front. I don't remember ever having anything stiffer than a 900 in the RF, and we were softer than that when the track was smooth and dry...

oldnelly87
09-28-2011, 07:54 PM
I agree, 1" is huge, start out with 1/2" longer on right side...With a good shock package we never encountered any excessive bounce in the front. I don't remember ever having anything stiffer than a 900 in the RF, and we were softer than that when the track was smooth and dry... i have a 850 and a 900 spring will that work? and do i leave my precentages the same as i got them?

sj valley dave
09-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Those springs would be a good starting spot for us, and your LR wedge would stay the same, ride heights, etc keep it where you normally have them..

oldnelly87
09-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Those springs would be a good starting spot for us, and your LR wedge would stay the same, ride heights, etc keep it where you normally have them.. how much spring travel should i have on my shock indicators it shows i have about an 1in now on the front

Dirtrunner35
09-30-2011, 07:36 AM
That's why you are tight, too much spring. 3 inches of travel is a good average. Like dave said, go down in spring.

oldnelly87
09-30-2011, 04:25 PM
That's why you are tight, too much spring. 3 inches of travel is a good average. Like dave said, go down in spring.

so about 3 inchs on the right side what about the left side ? or both should have 3?

Dirtrunner35
10-01-2011, 11:18 AM
You have more rebound on the left side, I don't look at that. 3 on the right side is a good start, go down in spring.