PDA

View Full Version : 2.3 Mech Fuel Pump Question

rtcaldwell
05-04-2011, 12:39 PM
I bought a short block from RW, rules say "must run mechanical fuel pump". I bought the Carter fp from Speedway and everything was great. Since I have traded off that big pump to a friend that runs mod mini vs my stock mini. I bought a stock (Pinto) mech pump that wouldn't work, neither did the upside down Ranger pump. I believe I have a late model block. There is a 3 bolt pattern on the block, on top of the aux shaft. The block on my racecar has 2 front holes and the rear hole is outboard toward the fuel pump. (Late model where that 3 bolt pattern was used for p.s. pump bracket) I have a bunch of other blocks and the rear hole is inboard toward the head (early model where that 3 bolt pattern was used for alt bracket). There is extra meat cast into the block below that outboard bolt hole. The Carter fuel pump clears that meat or boss because of the arm profile, no stock pump I have found does. The boss holds the arm down, never letting it reach the cam lobe. Is there a stock pump that will clear the boss??? I don't want to go into the motor and machine/grind off the boss OR buy ANOTHER high dollar pump that I don't need.

longhornracer
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
have you talked to your tech people about this? and tell them about the newer style blocks?

rtcaldwell
05-04-2011, 02:18 PM
H*ll, these people on here ARE my "tech people". Lol. But I will call Racer Walsh...

longhornracer
05-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Lol.. I was meaning your track tech guys. And tell them this issue. I have never seen a track not allow electric fuel pumps as long as there is a main disconnect kill switch for everything in the car