PDA

View Full Version : Advance or retard cam?

dmstang
05-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Just purchased stock appearing cam sprocket with 10 keyways from speedway motors and it didn't come with any instructions. No timing marks on the sprocket, I installed it and attempted to figure it out on my own with E bar method.

The question here is which direction is retard or advanced? When the crank is on TDC and the E bar is sloped down toward the intake side, would that make it retard or advanced?

Also can I use the angle finder on top of E bar to find out the degree?

Thanks.

longhornracer
05-05-2011, 02:13 AM
With your crank at top dead. and your cam completly level out even when you loosen your cam gear and turn the crank counterclockwise you are advancing it.. Of course this is with your timing belt on! Dont try to advance or retard it with a ebar you will be WAY off..

Dirtman29
05-05-2011, 03:25 PM
The ford motorsport stock appearing cam gear is marked, I have one like new Ill sell if you decide you need one that is marked. Easier to use the adj. type if rules allow it.

dmstang
05-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Rules doesn't allow adj cam sprocket. The one I have from speedway motor is lousy.

If I used adj sprocket, will the E bar remain flat while I turn the crank counter clockwise to advance it then tighten the screw. Then turn the crank back to TDC and the E bar should lean down toward the intake side, is that correct?

My cam is good between 4000 to 7000 rpm, should I advance or retard it? Or just keep it around 0 degree?

Thanks for your help.

longhornracer
05-06-2011, 01:31 AM
To advance or reatard a cam is more than what your cam is good to. The most important thing is what are you turning now? when you advance the cam it gives you more off the corner but runs out on the straight aways and retarding it does the opposite. Usually smaller tracks you advance and retard on bigger ones but also tire size and gear are a huge factor to all that.. and if your going to try the ebar trick you are saying the Ebar should lean down towards the exhaust side but thats all on you it would be almost impossible to get a excat measurement doing it that way. But i guess it could be done. my advice would be to run it if you havent at straight up and decide if you need more rpms or less and then go from there just my 2 cents