PDA

View Full Version : Groove on Crate USA D21

RacerX10
05-06-2011, 09:09 AM
I've got 7 new tires coming in, never raced on these tires before (Crate USA D21)

Anybody suggest grooving pattern for them ? It looks like people are doing smaller blocks than I remember us doing 10 years ago.

Thanks !

BPRacing29
05-15-2011, 11:40 PM
People are winning with these tires just mounting them up and racing. I run mine a race or two like that and then on rears I cut across the middle of each block and the fronts just cut around the circumference of the tire. I use #4 blade on the grooves, so compared to a few years ago yeah the grooves are smaller.

RacerX10
05-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Good deal thanks BPRacing

Egoracing
05-16-2011, 07:11 AM
It is completley dependant on the track. General is across the rears and around the fronts on any tire but if you need more RR you can cut around the outside blocks on the RR to gain side bite and angled across the fronts to tighten it thrugh the corner. Again, it depends on the track conditions and what the car needs.

RacerX10
05-16-2011, 07:02 PM
It is completley dependant on the track. General is across the rears and around the fronts on any tire but if you need more RR you can cut around the outside blocks on the RR to gain side bite and angled across the fronts to tighten it thrugh the corner. Again, it depends on the track conditions and what the car needs.

EGO have you seen these particular tires ? They have pretty darn small blocks to begin with.

Egoracing
05-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Cut them up the first year that Nesmith and Hoosier came out with them. I was not suggesting more than one cut per block, only that different conditions and needs dictate the cut pattern.

BPRacing29
05-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Ego , how would you suggest doing the angled cuts on the fronts?......I would like to figure out a pattern but the blocks are so small to begin with, I just think it would be like butchering the tire.

BPRacing29

RacerX10
05-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Ego , how would you suggest doing the angled cuts on the fronts?......I would like to figure out a pattern but the blocks are so small to begin with, I just think it would be like butchering the tire.

BPRacing29

I was wondering the same thing but afraid to ask :)

Egoracing
05-20-2011, 07:07 AM
If you look at blade size and angle compaired to the existing blocks you can get them in but you have to favor the back side of the blocks on top of the tire so when they hit the bottom you have more meat behind the cut. You can also angle cut each block at a 45 degree angle. When you are using a cut tire you are not on the compound you are running the edges so you can also only cut then 1/2 the depth which will keep them stiffer. I have also only cut 1/2 way across the block when that cut was needed and we were running soft tires. It takes more time but if needed it may be the only way to get it.