PDA

View Full Version : electrical/starter gremlins

2138d_Racing
05-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I can hit the starter button once and the starter might turn... on subsequent attempts, nothing happens when the button is pushed. No tick from the relay or anything. I wait a few minutes and try it again... still nothing.

Now, the starter is new, the solenoid is new, the pushbutton and ignition switches are new. I have a battery cutoff switch, but I know it's working because I can get power to the gauge lights. Battery is in good shape.

So I'm stumped. Why wouldn't power be getting to the starter?

jasonmischke
05-06-2011, 11:12 PM
maybe your starter is not completely grounded, also check for corrosion inside @ the solenoid and starter...could be some inside the crimp connections

dirty white boy
05-07-2011, 06:44 PM
maybe your starter is not completely grounded, also check for corrosion inside @ the solenoid and starter...could be some inside the crimp connections
if starter is new,..scrap paint from where it set to the block,..my help ground it bedda

26-62 racing
05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Use a volt meter to check connections and both sides of a switch. With the master cut off on check both side for the same voltage. Starter switch voltage on both sides with button depressed. Voltage on both sides of the solenoid, with the started button depressed. Work though the problem start from the battery and work to the starter. Make sure everything is grounded well. Don't just change parts.

2138d_Racing
05-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Well, everything there needed replaced. Battery post on the starter was twisted off-- when I pulled the starter it was completely missing. Battery cable just hung there. Button and ignition switches of questionable status. It had a ford external solenoid on it. I picked up an All-Star racing solenoid-- looked identical to ford solenoid, so I wired it the same way. Turns out that the jumper wire used on the ford solenoid is unnecessary on the racing solenoid. Removed the jumper wire, moved the pushbutton wire from left to right terminal-- instant results.