PDA

View Full Version : 73-77 a-body front suspension interchange?

racerdude21
05-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Hi all,

In the process of building a new chassis.

I have a 73-77 Chevelle to start with. I am currently ready to start stock piling parts, and such to start piecing together a roller.

It's my understanding that the 70-81 Camaro's utilize most of the same front suspension. Is this true?

I've heard that the lower control arms, and spindles are the same. I'm not going to be using stock upper's so thats really not that big of a deal.

I also got a GM box that was off a Camaro, so its a 12:1 box, but it came with no pitman arm. I've heard that they're 5.5" center to center, for the ABODY steering components. Are the Camaro's teh same, or any other car utilize the same pitman arm?

THIS IS GOING ON A PAVEMENT CAR, JUST HEADS UP.

Thanks!

stock car driver
05-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Hi all,

In the process of building a new chassis.

I have a 73-77 Chevelle to start with. I am currently ready to start stock piling parts, and such to start piecing together a roller.

It's my understanding that the 70-81 Camaro's utilize most of the same front suspension. Is this true?

I've heard that the lower control arms, and spindles are the same. I'm not going to be using stock upper's so thats really not that big of a deal.

I also got a GM box that was off a Camaro, so its a 12:1 box, but it came with no pitman arm. I've heard that they're 5.5" center to center, for the ABODY steering components. Are the Camaro's teh same, or any other car utilize the same pitman arm?

THIS IS GOING ON A PAVEMENT CAR, JUST HEADS UP.

Thanks!

pitman arm is different

I got mine from sardeson racing when I ran that frame. I might still have one or two in the attick if you want me to take a look, Ill ship them to you cheap.

Jeff

racerdude21
05-09-2011, 01:27 PM
If you could that would be great, I thought I read somewhere that they are 5 1/2" center to center... but not too sure, new to the Chevelle game.

Also, any insight on the control arm/center link deal? I've heard they were the same?

stock car driver
05-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I have one left. I tried to give all that stuff to the guy that bought my chevelle but missed this arm. Its 5.75 but the offset is different as well from a nova, camaro etc.

you need the oem centerlink and idler as well as this pitman arm

camaro or big metric impala etc lowers are all the same.

for spindles you want to run the camaro or big metric impala ones they are much lighter than oem chevelle and use same full size calipers etc.

If your allowed I would run the jet racing adapters to run metric calipers up front. jet runs the big spindles so hes a good source for them if you dont have any. I bought us brake rotors already drilled to 5 on 5 etc.

Ill ship you this steering arm for 20 bucks total. Jeff

cautrell05
05-10-2011, 04:41 PM
92-96 impala spindles are 5on5 factory. still use same calipers and #52 brake pads.
Nick

stock car driver
05-10-2011, 04:52 PM
92-96 impala spindles are 5on5 factory. still use same calipers and #52 brake pads.
Nick

Arent those 12 inch rotors like the 5 on 5 early impala stuff?

I ran that stuff on pavement but way too heavy on dirt.

cautrell05
05-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Nah. The 73-77 5 on 5 impala spindles look like they belong on a truck. Definatley too heavy for racing unless there are some serious contact issues. I switched out the 77 monte spindles on my metric for the 92 impala ones a couple of years ago. Side by side they look identical. If there is a weight difference its minimal.

Nick

stock car driver
05-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Nah. The 73-77 5 on 5 impala spindles look like they belong on a truck. Definatley too heavy for racing unless there are some serious contact issues. I switched out the 77 monte spindles on my metric for the 92 impala ones a couple of years ago. Side by side they look identical. If there is a weight difference its minimal.

Nick

Nick what size are the rotors??

cautrell05
05-10-2011, 09:14 PM
11.25 or 11.5. Dont remember right off hand, been too long. They are the same thickness as the standard chevelle and camaro rotors.

Nick

stock car driver
05-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Its a pavement car anyways! so the bigger stuff will work just fine.