PDA

View Full Version : stick the RR better

fletch lives
05-12-2011, 08:07 PM
what r some of the things I can do to stick the RR better . need to be able to drive a little harder through the corners. need a little more side bite. car handles good right now. just looking for a small general change to make. I know I can add angle to J-bar but what is a small change to make that would not compromise handling much.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Lower rr lower link at frame.

lpd1
05-12-2011, 09:35 PM
im needing some help my self, my car is very good in and to the center, but i can feel like the rr like its skipping coming off the corner on the throttle. i dont want to make it any tighter getting in or in the center just need to plant the rr. im int the 2nd hole up on the lrt rod and 3rd hole from the bottom on the lrb rod, about 70 lbs wedge, and the 4 links are at std lengths??? thought maybe about shorting the right side but not sure if that will help. thanks Dave

BIGFREAK101
05-12-2011, 10:54 PM
My thought would be is add some wedge what you feel is over steer in the rear because its steering like a fork truck. I would try like a 120 to 140 LT rear and go to a 200 or 175 in the left rear will give the left rear more traction. U might try a 375 in fiftharm out around 34 to 35 inches out from center of housing . Just some thoughts

lpd1
05-12-2011, 11:05 PM
i forgot to mention mine is a blue frontend rocket, 200 lr, 225 rr i think a 300 on the fifth coil, and its all the way back towards the rear end

lpd1
05-12-2011, 11:57 PM
what would be better to stick the rr and get hooked up coming off the corner on the throttle???

1) shorten right side wheel base 1/4- 1/2 inch ??
2) add wedge??
3) drop bottom lr bar down down a hole??? also dont the bottom lr rod by dropping it take some rear steer out?? thanks for any help possible.. dave

BIGFREAK101
05-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Well I would try dropping the bottom bar first and yes it does take a little steer out but indexing the birdgage in to the spring will add traction will also free it up a little On entry depending on how you controlled the throttle. And you drive the car straighter if its better and want a little more then try the wedge . Try not to change the bar lengths running different lenths only fixs a issue your having some where else.
1 bar down this also will gain a couple of degrees of upper bar angle along adding into the spring.
2 need a little more and your close add a little wedge.
3 consider running a stacked spring set on right front with the lock out. This lets you pin the right front but still give you a stiff spring to give the left bars to push off of to add traction in the left rear. RE SUSPENSION. IN MOORESVILLE NC can help you out 704-664-2277

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-13-2011, 07:31 AM
what would be better to stick the rr and get hooked up coming off the corner on the throttle???

1) shorten right side wheel base 1/4- 1/2 inch ??
2) add wedge??
3) drop bottom lr bar down down a hole??? also dont the bottom lr rod by dropping it take some rear steer out?? thanks for any help possible.. dave

All of these make the car "tighter" on exit. I wouldn't call that "sticking the rr". If your rr is working harder on exit, you would be looser. 2 and 3 will do nothing for you if you lack sidebite. 1 may help if you think you lack sidebite, but are really chasing the rear of the car up the track because it is steering so much.

If you are just a bit loose on exit, then 3 is your best bet.

dualdj1
05-13-2011, 08:49 AM
when evaluating handling to make changes, look at all 5 points of the corner.

1) Entry on throttle
2) Entry off throttle
3) Middle off throttle
4) Middle on throttle
5) Exit on throttle

Identify what the car is doing in all 5 areas, and from there you can decide what change is best, since changes tend to affect multiple areas, as Mastersbuilt pointed out. Simply saying "i need more side bite" isn't a good way to determine what change you really need.

fletch lives
05-13-2011, 02:55 PM
if my RR lower is already level. If I drop another hole at frame ( making it a downward angle - from back to front view ) will this be OK or is that to far to lower the RR lower rod ?.

GRTLRBITE
05-14-2011, 08:11 AM
try taking some rebound out of rr . it will drive off rr more. but may be a little loose but will have more rr drive from center off.

F22 RAPTOR
05-14-2011, 09:53 AM
im needing some help my self, my car is very good in and to the center, but i can feel like the rr like its skipping coming off the corner on the throttle. i dont want to make it any tighter getting in or in the center just need to plant the rr. im int the 2nd hole up on the lrt rod and 3rd hole from the bottom on the lrb rod, about 70 lbs wedge, and the 4 links are at std lengths??? thought maybe about shorting the right side but not sure if that will help. thanks Dave

Define "skipping"...
Skipping as in "bouncing" or skipping as in "sliding"?
If its "bouncing", you may be too soft on compression in your RR shock.
Stiffening the RR shock would help control the bouncing/hopping and free you up
some on entry and center.

My apologies for Hijacking, I just saw an opportunity to help somebody. :p

jedclampit
05-14-2011, 06:19 PM
if my RR lower is already level. If I drop another hole at frame ( making it a downward angle - from back to front view ) will this be OK or is that to far to lower the RR lower rod ?.
That will be ok and should give you more traction at the rr, and less rear steer.
Looks like your post got hijacked!:cool:

lpd1
05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
well we ran agin this weekend, ran a little better but where still not there yet. where killing them getting in and to the center, but i have to wait longer then every one else to pick up the throttle. im keeping to car straight not throwing it in, but it wants to spin the tires alot from center off on the throttle. we had the 4 links just about the same as last week lrt 2nd hole up- lrb 3rd hole up- rrt 2nd hole from bottom- rrb 3 hole from bottom. with the excepting of the lrb rod done in the 2nd hole after the races. it still seems to me like the car wants to rotate do much on the throttle, i had to rrt rod 2nd hole from bottom, then went back out with it in the bottom hole and agin i could really run it in but had to wait along time to pick the gas back up, i was wondering if changing from a 225 to a 200 rr spring might help??? of even clamping the dummy shock?? i heard it might be better then running the normal clamp lr.

dchamp3
05-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Add 50# of lr and move the rr bottom bar down a hole.

SLM98
05-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Put a 175 or 200 spring in the LR

hpmaster
05-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I have found over time, mostly the hard way, shocks not set up properly or working properly on almost any corner can kill drive off the corner. While everything you are being told is good advice shocks not doing what they need to can screw things up. I get them dynoed the first of the year and checked out by a good shock guy.

lpd1
05-17-2011, 04:44 PM
i run integra ida shocks, there where testing by integra so i know there good, but i have them set on standard right now, thought about adjusting them to the slick settings this weekend,

Lf 550 rr 350 Lr 200 14 inch spring rr 224 14 inch spring, j bar started at 8 1/4 go to 8 3/4 for feature, left side 54% rear 54.4 %, 70 lbs wedge, lr top rod 2nd hole up lr bottom 2nd hole from bottom, rr top tod down 2 holes from neatrual, rr bottom 2 holes down from neatrual, like i was saying the car is awsome getting in the corner and to the center but every weekend this year i cant come off the corner but i have not went higher then the 2nd hole up on the lr top rod?? i went from a 6.30 gear to a 6.02 just to try and keep it hooked up. and on restarts if i have to take off in the center of the turn and the car is not heading straight it lights the tires up untill it gets going, im very good with keeping the car straight and not throwing it in the corners, it just seems to lake forward drive???? my 5th coil is a 300# and is
all the way back towards the rear end. thanks for any help

talclipse
05-17-2011, 05:48 PM
LPD would your car happen to be one of the "new" blue cars?

lpd1
05-17-2011, 06:38 PM
yes sir, its a blue front with grey spindels, things that im thinking about trying for the weekends events,
1) instead of running the lr top rod in the 2nd hole might go up to like the 4th hole if that track is about the same as land week.

2) might shorten the right side wheel base 1/2 inch.

3)might add wedge from 70 to about 120

4)drop lr bottom rod from 2nd hole to the bottom hole.

like i was saying earlyer i really dont want to touch entry and side bite because i think its a on throttle issue?? thanks for every ones help , dave puskarich

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Move your 5th coil forward.

lpd1
05-18-2011, 07:12 PM
is there a good in car lap timer that will keep good track of your lap times to see if your getting better or worse??

4J Automotive
05-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I am having the same problem with a mastersbilt. How much will moving the left bottom bar down affect my entry? What about stiffer right front spring?

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I am having the same problem with a mastersbilt.
How much will moving the left bottom bar down affect my entry? What about stiffer right front spring?

Left lower = not a lot

rf spring = a good bit

Not to mention that the former tightens entry and the latter loosens entry when talking about off the gas handling.

mab18
05-19-2011, 09:33 AM
When your moving your panhard either on the frame or rear are you making sure that your left to right is staying the same? If the rear is moving to the left and your not correcting it that will increase your entry but also will cause a loose exit problem. Make sure it is staying the same.

4J Automotive
05-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Left lower = not a lot

rf spring = a good bit

Not to mention that the former tightens entry and the latter loosens entry when talking about off the gas handling.

What exactly are you saying with "the former"?

We are on RR Index and that only affects the car on throttle. I am trying not tamper with one click index on RR and get just a little drive off. t Can the left bottom give me a little coming off without effecting the car which turns and drives great.

Also contemplated making the whole car tighter w/ the stiffer right front and going all the way on RR index and planned on adjusting off RR index to race conditions.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-19-2011, 11:57 AM
What exactly are you saying with "the former"?

We are on RR Index and that only affects the car on throttle. I am trying not tamper with one click index on RR and get just a little drive off. t Can the left bottom give me a little coming off without effecting the car which turns and drives great.

Also contemplated making the whole car tighter w/ the stiffer right front and going all the way on RR index and planned on adjusting off RR index to race conditions.

The former means the first option meantioned. When you say the RR is indexed, you mean the top bar dropped on the cage? If so, that changes the dynamic spring rate of the rr. It has to effect the car off the throttle.

It make the rr spring rate higher and puts more of the thrust load on the rr upper bar. Both will make the car looser on the gas and you should see some tightening on entry. If you are too loose on exit, getting rid of the index should be a positive adjustment.

4J Automotive
05-19-2011, 12:15 PM
We are indexed on the birdcage on the RR. Are you saying that dropping the bottom left bar will free me up even more on entry?

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-19-2011, 12:31 PM
We are indexed on the birdcage on the RR. Are you saying that dropping the bottom left bar will free me up even more on entry?

No, it should tighten entry just a bit. The stiffer rf will loosen entry off the gas.

4J Automotive
05-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Stiffer RF spring will tighten on exit also right? Thank you alot

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Stiffer RF spring will tighten on exit also right? Thank you alot

Yes sir.....

lpd1
05-19-2011, 08:50 PM
my 5th coil is all the way back at the rearend- 32 inchs would moving it up 2 holes to ABOUT 34-35 HELP FORWARD DRIVE??? ALSO WOULD RIASING THE LR TOP ROD UP TO ABOUT THE 4TH HOLE FROM THE 2ND HOLE HELP ALSO???

dchamp3
05-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Yes it will help at 34-35 and as far as the lrt bar don't go over 45 degrees when the left rear is stretched out.

poppy
05-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Ok all things created equal (and they never are) which would create more side bite or forward bite if any, a 225 or 250 RR spring?

dualdj1
05-20-2011, 03:46 PM
depends on track conditions and where you like to run, if there's a burm, etc. it's never as easy as just heavier/lighter.

The car and the driver work as a system, so you have to take all the aspects into account as well as your environment when considering changes.

poppy
05-20-2011, 03:51 PM
It is almost always dry slick and will drive it low and high. Kind of have to go where I need to. Prefer to run right in the middle. But sometimes I can get a little loose or snappy coming off the apex to the straight.

poppy
05-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Someone should have a idea about this?

poppy
05-22-2011, 09:15 AM
help, just curious what everyones/anyones opinion would be on this question please help.

grt74
05-22-2011, 09:49 AM
heavier rr spring will tighten entry to the middle and free off just a little another words planting the rr so if it frees the car to much on exit youll have to tighten it up somewhere else now if your wanting to plant the rr on exit or get the car driving straighter off the turn thats a different adjustment

poppy
05-22-2011, 10:36 AM
That is what I am trying to do, I like the car to be striaght and would like suggestions on planting the RR for drive and sidebite. currently I am running LF 550 RF 350
LR 250 and RR 225. Seems like I get in ok but have to work the gas more then I think I should have to. Running a 550 HP motor and would like to be full throttle sooner. Any suggestions.

jedclampit
05-23-2011, 07:02 AM
That is what I am trying to do, I like the car to be striaght and would like suggestions on planting the RR for drive and sidebite. currently I am running LF 550 RF 350
LR 250 and RR 225. Seems like I get in ok but have to work the gas more then I think I should have to. Running a 550 HP motor and would like to be full throttle sooner. Any suggestions.
Sidebite (at the rr) and foreward bite are a trade off, if you want to gain both you will need more rear weight or rear aero downforce....(simply put).

Work your entry/center..........and you won't get out of the gas much.:cool:

cikmamoto1
05-23-2011, 08:47 PM
nice song i like that

xskalien
05-25-2011, 12:33 PM
thanx for share. good job.