PDA

View Full Version : 2.3 piston ??

youngengines
05-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Whats the best "bang for the buck" 2.3 piston? Need to turn 8000rpm. Will the keith black hyper be safe? I know a lot of guys have turned the stock ranger pistons that much, just looking for something a little lighter.

rtcaldwell
05-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Yes, KBs will hold up. I turned 9000 with them, in an already worn out motor for an entire season with no problems. No experience with the Ranger pistons. If lighter is what you want go with forged. I run forged Wisecos now, just for the light weight. Only turning about 7500. I don't know which brand is supposed to be best. I just used the trusted name. Maybe some other folks can chime in on WHICH forged is better.

84Dave
05-13-2011, 02:07 PM
I've run WiseCo forged in our 2.0L Pro-4's from day one. Lateral gas ports, accumulator groove in the 2nd ring land, 7cc dome atop the piston, slope-milled to 3.5cc(good for 1 additional point of geometric compression ratio), 5.7" rods with a .927" Chev pin. The piston, for a 3.605" bore, weighs about 330 grams. Unknown to most, the 2.3L version of the piston can be had with the 2.0L forged dome on top. The piston is obviously 'custom'. About $100 each, the last box of them I purchased. Available in about any ring size. Interested? Contact Vic Ellinger (800)321-1364 ext. 3016 [vellinger@wiseco.com] or Sue Nash ext. 3106. -Dave-

jatchis
05-13-2011, 04:55 PM
I ran the KB hypers (for 5.7" rods) for a few seasons with real good results, turning them between 7800 and 8100. The thing to remember about hypers is that they transfer a LOT of heat to the top ring, so you want to follow their guide lines for ring gap (even make the gap a little wider) to prevent the ends of the rings from butting, and seizing the piston in the cylinder.

If you're talking about using stock rods, then the "biggest bang for your buck" may be the Big E long rod kit. While I am not a big fan of their stuff, you can't beat the price for a set of 5.7 rods, WiseCo forged pistons, rings, and bearings. And the rods in that kit fit the stock Ford journal, so you don't have the added expense of cutting your crank down to Chevy rod journal sizes.

youngengines
05-13-2011, 09:39 PM
I am leaning toward SRP pistons. They weigh 416 grams, (not sure on the pin) and take a 1.5 comp 4mm ring pack. The rules only allow stock length rods.