PDA

View Full Version : venting block and head

huntingeddie03
05-15-2011, 10:52 AM
what is the best way to vent the block hole under the intake and on the valve cover. thanks ed

longhornracer
05-15-2011, 01:53 PM
on the block i always tap mine then run at 90 degree fitting off it with a hose and run it under the car. but that really can only be done with the motor disassembled.. the valve cover i just run a small breather off it

jatchis
05-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Leave the baffle in the block under the breather hole, and use the stock can, as it's an oil separator, and will allow fumes out, but keep oil in the block. We use the stock hose, take the old PCV valve and knock the check ball out of it, and put a 3/8" breather on top of it. For the valve cover, we weld a 4" piece of 1-3/8" pipe over the breather cap hole, and use a clamp on breather. Functional, clean, and don't look half bad ....

http://www.scalded-dog-racing.com/images/breathers.jpg

Dirtman29
05-15-2011, 11:05 PM
I have a PCV valve (autozone #1226) in the oil separator hole, put black RTV on it & pop it in, let it sit overnite to dry (make sure the L on top points to the firewall). Then I stuck a 3/8" vacuum hose on the PCV valve, mine is run up behind the intake up to height of valve cover, put a breather on it, I got the 9.99 autozone cheapo & it works just fine. I have a turbo oil cap with the 90 deg. L out the top of it, just put an open 6" piece of vacuum line on it. I get minor blow-by out the cover vent, never lost a drop out the block hole. Been using this for 3 yrs. with no problems. Very inexpensive & easy.

supertruck
05-16-2011, 05:39 AM
Question - after my rebuild, I decided to go with the check valve welded into the exhaust and a line to it from the valve cover vent. I also kept the block vent with oil separator in place. Running this, I was pushing oil out of the block vent. When I disconnected the exhaust check valve, the problem went away. Any clues?

car62
05-16-2011, 02:25 PM
did you weld it in at about a 45 degree angle?..and also it only needs to be in the pipe maybe 1/8th inch.

supertruck
05-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Yes, the check valve is at about a 45 degree angle, toward the motor. It's barely abouve flush on the inside.

Doug_Guilds
05-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Yes, the check valve is at about a 45 degree angle, toward the motor. It's barely abouve flush on the inside.

If you have the valve facing the flow of the exhaust it will pressurize the crank case. It needs to be going with the flow of the exhaust system.

Like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/Doug_Guilds/DragsterHeader.jpg

Racedad
05-17-2011, 10:21 PM
On my 2.3/2.5 ford OHC stuff I just vent the block using the factory oil seperator .
Valve cover sealed.Never had a problem.

supertruck
05-23-2011, 05:48 AM
Doug - I should have said the top of the valve welded to the tubing leans toward the motor, so the exhast flow should pull from it as it passes by.

Doug_Guilds
05-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Ahhh I got ya now. :) I was reading it as you had the exhaust side facing towards the engine.