PDA

View Full Version : Dear 4M, Consider the following:

PennDirt
05-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Of course, there is no way to foolproof against spammers on message boards but I belong to another site that seems to have a decent 'speed bump' system in place.

All new users upon activation are subjected to the 30/30/30 Rule.

30/30/30 works like this.

First 30 days, you can not:

Start a thread.
Have no user tools other than simple text to reply to existing threads. So this means no URL placement, picture posting, no bolding fonts, no quoting, etc...
No signature field

You can only post 30 minutes apart from last post.
You will have to meet a 30-post minimum to become a full member.

So the 30 days has top precedence. No matter if a poster meets the 30-post criteria in 10 days, they still can't become a full member until day 30.

If they try and wait out the 30 day rule by not posting and come back and blast off into mass spamming, they still will have to wait until the 30-post rule is fulfilled, plus they still have the 30 minute wait.

So at the end of day 30 AND the user has his 30-posts met, they become a full member with full compliments of controls.

In short, you're protecting the site, your regular users and cutting down your reporting reply time by giving new users 30 days to prove if they're a spammer or a race fan.

A fan will endure the 30/30/30 Rule, a spammer won't. Yes, it does kinda suck and to be sure complaints will follow but the bigger picture is you have a real problem here and nothing in place to stop it. Mouserover viruses are on the rise and even the most savvy users here could accidentally roll over these wrapped spammer links.

Help us and help yourself along the way, I promise you your spammers will eventual leave 4M alone.

31KMOD
05-17-2011, 06:30 PM
I sent one of the moderators a message a while ago, put in a question when you sign up that only a racer/fan would know. Another forum asks "whos the man?" or something like that, it would help........

B r a n d o n
05-18-2011, 08:18 AM
How ironic that a spam bot chose to post here LOL.

PennDirt
05-19-2011, 12:37 AM
How ironic that a spam bot chose to post here LOL.

I saw that yesterday, I laughed.

I sent one of the moderators a message a while ago, put in a question when you sign up that only a racer/fan would know. Another forum asks "whos the man?" or something like that, it would help........

The bad guys have several ways to get around those. Usually most sites only make 1 to 12 different questions and they crack those answers in nanoseconds.

Meh, makes no matter, anyway. Was just trying to help.