PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR idiocy.

Fireball22Roberts
05-21-2011, 03:26 PM
As we prepare to head for the track here in Central Illinois for only our third show of the season, thanks to the horrible spring weather here, it strikes me that NASCAR is running their premiere weekend event on Saturday night again...matching all THREE of our shows so far this year. What a joke NASCAR management has become.

The core audience of NASCAR is what...stock car racing fans. Duh. You wouldn't expect the core audience of NASCAR to match, say, the core audience of needlepoint or bingo. So, what is the core audience of NASCAR doing on most Saturday nights? Yep, attending stock car races in person at their local tracks.

So why in holy hell would you add MORE Saturday night shows to your schedule if you were the premiere racing series in the world, and that premiere status was built in large part on this: "Sunday afternoons are for NASCAR."

There are many, many, MANY reasons why NASCAR's popularity is waning, why attendance at their races are down, why their TV ratings are down, but I think this in one of the BIG ones. Forcing your core audience to make a choice on Saturday night. Not smart. Plus, now you've got potential fans who WON'T get interested in NASCAR, because they've grown up at local bullrings on Saturday night and haven't SEEN much NASCAR Cup racing, because about half the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) shows are on Saturday night now.

Will someone with 1 ounce of a clue take over NASCAR's upper management and fix it? Start with putting the shows back on Sunday, followed by getting rid of templates, followed by getting rid of the "Chase for the Cup" stupidity, followed by eliminating fake-excitement rules (restrictor plates, "lucky dog", "competition yellows" come to mind immediately), followed by getting rid of the cookie-cutter track mentality and putting variety (i.e. MORE SHORT TRACKS) back into the series, followed by...the list goes on and on.

EDIT: I didn't type any curse words, I don't know what the nanny is doing to my post.

Like I said, NASCAR has a world of troubles. Moving all the shows back to Sunday - even Sunday nights if they are so GD set on racing at night - would be a nice start, and would help all the local tracks get back some of those who do make the choice to stay home and watch fake racing.

TS FAN
05-23-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't think Sat night events are hurting Nascar. FMS winning everything has. That has changed somewhat this year. As far as the local tracks. It can certainly hurt them, but we can tape the Nascar event easy enough. Frankly with all the commercials it is better to tape anyway. Too many local tracks competing for fans and cars in some cases too.

CIRF
05-23-2011, 11:14 PM
What the he!! is FMS, anyway?

Kardalan1907
05-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Thank you very much:D