PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp Raises After Shutdown...

JR. MECHANIC
05-22-2011, 10:37 PM
The car races at 180 and never goes over 190 under cautions, but the moment I shut the car off; the temp raises to about 230... to the point where it won't refire because of the temp. Any ideas on what would causes the temp to spike like this. Thanks.

Graff Spee
05-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Yes, the water is not circulating after shut down. You could always pour water on the radiater before you shut it down if it really bothers you. Try a remote solenoid for the starter and heaver cables. Welding cable works great. Good luck.

LowTechRacing
05-22-2011, 11:45 PM
What kind of fan are you running. I let my car idel foe a couple mins after coming off the track. Might hold it about 1500rpms or so.

bushracing67
05-23-2011, 07:56 AM
trying going down a size on the water restrictor

42lach
05-23-2011, 08:54 AM
how is your system set up . cool when racin then alot hotter after you shut down. ussually is to much restriction like your getting hot spots in the motor . like a piece of metal right after you cut it with a torch the water just steams away from the hottest part for awhile .the water is goin around those spots when racin and creating heat then slowly soaking them after u shut down . thats why so cool when racin. needs to be 190 to 200 when racing for good performence and to take enuf heat out while on the track hope this helps - makes sense

rubbinsracin
05-23-2011, 10:31 AM
every car we have ever had warms up a little after shutting it off. we run no restrictor and a double pass radiator with a good stewart pump with a 18" nylon flex fax that we replace every year coupled with a good shroud. after we get off the track if im below 180 i just shut it off. if im above that i let it idle until i get down to like 180ish and shut it off.

stock car driver
05-23-2011, 10:33 AM
All of our motors get hotter on the gauge, when shut down the water sits and soaks heat from the block, no big deal.

Get a good starter and make sure your cables etc are good. Wire the starter so you can push the button then hit the power to dist while its in motion if needed.

joedoozer
05-24-2011, 11:01 AM
For reference sake. At what temps would you start to worry about it getting too warm after shut down? With cast iron block and heads. Cast iron block and aluminum heads. And an all aluminum motor.

steveshawjr
05-24-2011, 12:12 PM
like said before it happens to just about all of us 230 seems safe but if you worried have some water around to poor on the rad until it drops to about 190 or so just rev it up to about 1500 and let the water cool down the engine before shutting it down we do it just because we like to check stuff between races and its better than working on a super hot engine

stock car driver
05-24-2011, 01:14 PM
For reference sake. At what temps would you start to worry about it getting too warm after shut down? With cast iron block and heads. Cast iron block and aluminum heads. And an all aluminum motor.

After I shut it down I dont care.

On the track over 210, I can feel a power loss..

bushracing67
06-01-2011, 08:04 AM
if the temp rises more than 15 degrees after shut down that indicates that the cooling system is not working as well as it can be, if the water is flowing too fast it will not absorb as much heat as it needs to, meaning the iron is still considerably hotter than the water that is flowing too quickly across it, so when you shut it down the water absorbs all the heat left in the iron, slowing the water down should help with your issue, like i said, drop down one size on the restrictor and see what happens

dirty white boy
06-01-2011, 01:47 PM
if the temp rises more than 15 degrees after shut down that indicates that the cooling system is not working as well as it can be, if the water is flowing too fast it will not absorb as much heat as it needs to, meaning the iron is still considerably hotter than the water that is flowing too quickly across it, so when you shut it down the water absorbs all the heat left in the iron, slowing the water down should help with your issue, like i said, drop down one size on the restrictor and see what happens

also will keep water in radiator longer cooling it more also,..witch can then asorb more heat when it gets back to motor...good luck

keithbaker
06-01-2011, 03:24 PM
We always run a restrictor but i was just thinking about water speed etc. wouldn't the the restrictor act like a water hose nozzle, you open the valve all the way and take the nozzle off then the water comes out kinda slow but with a lot of volume. but you put the nozzle on the end and squeeze the lever thing and less water comes out but with a lot of speed and pressure. wouldn't a lot of volume with low pressure help cooling? or is the more pressure better because of higher boiling point?

but anyways, we have always run a 3/4" restrictor and never really had cooling problems so take all that with a grain of salt

RussellBaker
06-07-2011, 10:18 AM
You may be running really lean. Running lean will make the temp shoot up real high after you cut it off. Check to see how the plugs look.