PDA

View Full Version : Front Tire Stagger?

JB1K
05-25-2011, 02:09 PM
How much does front tire stagger play into handiling? I assume this effects corner entry the most..? How much is too much / too little? Any thoughts?

dirtdodger
05-25-2011, 02:52 PM
stay as close to an inch as possible in front and around 4 in the rear. you can add and take away a little to compensate for track condition and handling response. like if you push you may be able to go 1 1/4 or so to help correct it. or stay with the 1 inch and adjust tire pressure a little goes a long way though dont try anything crazy.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-25-2011, 03:05 PM
A larger front has a slightly larger contact patch and slightly more inertia. The two wheels are not connected like in the back, so turning ability is not impacted.

A larger RF would in theory make the car a bit tighter under braking and acceleration.

JB1K
05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am looking at going back to 92's on the front for additional ground clearance (had been running 90's) and wondered what would happen if I had a 92 on the RF and a 90 on the left (3"-4" of stagger). If braking forces were equal, it would make sense that this could make the car a bit tighter due to the slightly wider contact patch. What about with the RF brake shut off? Looser? Fubar idea?

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am looking at going back to 92's on the front for additional ground clearance (had been running 90's) and wondered what would happen if I had a 92 on the RF and a 90 on the left (3"-4" of stagger). If braking forces were equal, it would make sense that this could make the car a bit tighter due to the slightly wider contact patch. What about with the RF brake shut off? Looser? Fubar idea?

If the rf is shut off, that bigger tire will resist slowing down more than a smaller one and want to make the car turn in more. Again, the change will be very small.

jedclampit
05-26-2011, 11:49 AM
More step in the front tires will add camber to both front wheels......... which or may not stick the nose of the car better , also more sidewall at the rf tire may affect grip at the front, again, maybe better or maybe worse.