PDA

View Full Version : 2.3 engine

fast90mini
05-25-2011, 09:57 PM
we are looking for a 2.3 small journal engine, I saw on another thread to look for the casting numbers to identify a 2.3 small journal, what type of ford did they come stock in and can you run a mechanical fuel pump on these engines? was going to the bone yard this weekend and want to know what to look for as far as model of ford would have this motor in it or another way to tell what engine is small journal or what engine is large journal, was told that the small jourrnal is 3lbs lighter than a large journal,thanks

rtcaldwell
05-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Don't know about years for small journals... but here is what I have learned on the mechanical fpumps...

"I bought a short block from RW, rules say "must run mechanical fuel pump". I bought the Carter fp from Speedway and everything was great. Since I have traded off that big pump to a friend that runs mod mini vs my stock mini. I bought a stock (Pinto) mech pump that wouldn't work, neither did the upside down Ranger pump. I believe I have a late model block. There is a 3 bolt pattern on the block, on top of the aux shaft. The block on my racecar has 2 front holes and the rear hole is outboard toward the fuel pump. (Late model where that 3 bolt pattern was used for p.s. pump bracket) I have a bunch of other blocks and the rear hole is inboard toward the head (early model where that 3 bolt pattern was used for alt bracket). There is extra meat cast into the block below that outboard bolt hole. The Carter fuel pump clears that meat or boss because of the arm profile, no stock pump I have found does. The boss holds the arm down, never letting it reach the cam lobe. Is there a stock pump that will clear the boss??? I don't want to go into the motor and machine/grind off the boss OR buy ANOTHER high dollar pump that I don't need."

CushionArtist
06-02-2011, 08:12 AM
I believe the small journal engines have E89 stamped in the casting on the exhaust side of cylinder #1. I'm running one with a stock mechanical mustang pump. There is some machining that needs done, but it is not too involved.

n9rracing
06-05-2011, 07:17 PM
If its a mustang its 93 and newer. If its a ranger Its a 88 or newer. The tapped holes for the fuel pump are ther but you will have to cut out for the pump arm mot hard at all. Just use a gasket and drill 3/16 holes around the oval and knock it out with a hammer then dress it up with a dremel. All the block i have had have a aluminum pan and a E8 or newer casting # Hope this helps!

boportt
06-05-2011, 08:49 PM
dumass 91-93 mustang cuz 94 dont got 4bangers!!! if u guys new anythin ud no that duel plug motrs are all small cranks