PDA

View Full Version : Painting Chassis

citiracer
05-28-2011, 11:37 AM
We've got a car that's getting a new front clip and it will need to be painted. Short of powder coating it (which ain't gonna happen), what is the best and most cost-effective way to do it?

Dirt Man
05-28-2011, 11:42 AM
If it is just the front clip, I would just use spray cans!

C10
05-28-2011, 11:55 AM
POR 15 hard nose paint! Its the toughest thing you can use besides powder coat or maybe even tougher. Best thing is you can brush it on and it levels out just as smooth as spraying it on. AMAZING STUFF!! FWIW, I am a PPG DuPont and Valspar certified painter if that helps your decision

AmickRacing
05-29-2011, 12:36 AM
I don't want to side track this thread too much...
Does that paint work pretty good for equipment too (lathes, brakes, etc)?
I'm wanting to refinish my brake someday when I run out of other things to do, just not sure what to use that'll hold up good enough to make it worth it.

C10
05-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Yes should work great on there too as long as you do the correct prep work

dirty white boy
05-29-2011, 02:16 PM
tractor supply,..valspare paint for farm equipment,...bout best,.tuffest paint next to roll on bed liners an por15 type stuff,good luck

gadirtracer
05-29-2011, 02:27 PM
POR 15 hard nose paint! Its the toughest thing you can use besides powder coat or maybe even tougher. Best thing is you can brush it on and it levels out just as smooth as spraying it on. AMAZING STUFF!! FWIW, I am a PPG DuPont and Valspar certified painter if that helps your decision

"HARDNOSE paints are tough, glossy, two-component coatings for use over primed or painted surfaces."
What kind of primer have you found to be the best for this? Standard primer or getting the primer from POR-15?
Got a new street stock that needs painting.

mqdirtracer57
05-30-2011, 09:42 AM
I have touched up chassis with epoxy based gloss paint.It seems to hang on pretty good and it also is self etching. I have recently used Epoxy Appliance paint. It can be pick up about anywhere. Not sure how it would look on a whole clip...but has worked out really well on touch ups.

citiracer
05-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not overly concerned with appearance on this one...just want to make sure I'm protecting it with something that isn't going to chip right off the first time we run on a track with some rocks in it.

mullengater
05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
I've used POR 15, restoring a 56 chevy frame, used por 15 after sand blasting, put it on with a brush, and it looks as good and slick as powder coating. good stuff.

gadirtracer
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
I've used POR 15, restoring a 56 chevy frame, used por 15 after sand blasting, put it on with a brush, and it looks as good and slick as powder coating. good stuff.

So, NO primer needed?
How has it held up under the hard life of a restored '56 Chevy?lol:rolleyes:

Graff Spee
06-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Spray it with DP90 and be done with it!

fox1162002
06-02-2011, 11:04 AM
I like the tractor paint from tsc cause you can get it in a rattle can for repairs. I take it and use a hardner and mix some clear coat in with it and it makes it shine and really tough. I'd do the whole car just sand it and seal the bare spots of metal with some rattle can sealer. Jmo