PDA

View Full Version : western flyer chassie

apr28
05-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Friend of mine has a Western Flyer leaf spring chassis. He has tore up 2 gears in two weeks. Both times gear yoke was really loose after wards. Gear was locked up. had to pull axles out to load car up on trailer. Any ideas what to look for. Thanks Richard

racin6mod
05-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I would say the gears are not set up with enough back lash once the gear set builds heat the metal grows in size and the clearances between the gears tightens up and if they are already to tight the heat will chew up the pinion gear. another thing to look at is the crush sleeve at my shop I use only solid sleeves/spacers on gears from a 5:43 on up to a 7:33.I also use red loctite on all the bolts and the yoke nut and torque to the correct specs.

apr28
05-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Both gears were from two different people and were two different gear ratio's. Please refresh my memory. Set backlash is based on how tight you get the yoke. Or am I thinking of something else. Richard

racin6mod
05-29-2011, 07:45 PM
no backlash is the clearance between the pinion and ring gear.you hold the pinion solid and rotate the ring gear and measure the freemovement with a dial indicator.set according to the mfg's specs for circle track use.

apr28
05-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks Rod wasn't sure. We'll check on that. Richard

HEAVY DUTY
05-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Can the driveshaft slip into the tranny at least an inch and a half when sitting at ride height? If the driveshaft bottoms in the tranny it can shove the pinion back and crush the crush sleeve messing up the pinion setting.

DaveBauerSS6
05-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Can the driveshaft slip into the tranny at least an inch and a half when sitting at ride height?
All trans will take 1 1/2 inches of yoke. If you are asking dose the yoke move into the trans at ride height; no, it moves out.

If the driveshaft bottoms in the tranny it can shove the pinion back and crush the crush sleeve messing up the pinion setting.
No , it pushes on the front pinion bearing to the race to the case. The drive shaft or trans usually looses.
Check the setups for solid spacers as suggested above.