PDA

View Full Version : FASTRAK NE Tour Sharon Speedway 5/28/11 story & results

FASTRAKPR
05-29-2011, 12:36 PM
HOLTGRAVER DOMINATES $1,500 BILL EMIG MEMORIAL FASTRAK NE LM TOUR RACE AT SHARON WITH 41 CARS; PEGHER WINS $500 IN KING OF THE HILL & GIVES IT BACK TO AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY AS OVER $9,000 IS RAISED!
By Mike Leone

May 28, 2011 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(Hartford, OH)…The Sweeney Chevrolet Buick GMC FASTRAK Northeast Late Model Touring Series opened the two-event Bill Emig Memorial “Wild Card Weekend” at Sharon Speedway on Saturday night. It was race #3 on the 23-race 2011 Touring Series slate. The first of four events in 2011 at the Hartford, Ohio oval drew a season-high and Sharon record 41 cars from Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New York, and Ontario, Canada. Punxsutawney (PA) High School Junior, Tori Martin, presented the inaugural “Racing for the Cure” American Cancer Society Benefit Event as part of her senior project and over $9,000 was raised!

One year ago at Sharon, Josh Holtgraver won his first career FASTRAK Northeast Touring Series event albeit not the way he wanted to as he was credited with the victory after David Scott failed post-race tech inspection. Fast forward to Memorial Day Weekend 2011, and Holtgraver left everyone an impression they won’t soon forget with a dominating performance over a star-studded field in the 25-lap Bill Emig Memorial feature for his second career Touring Series win. Holtgraver’s biggest career win was worth $1,500.

“This time around feels a lot better,” expressed the 22-year-old Pittsburgh, Pa. driver. “We really had a good race car tonight, but it helped us to start up front. I tried to change it up on those restarts starting at different points. I knew they were right on me and waiting on them to go by me. It’s great to race with Robbie Blair; we raced side-by-side last week at Tri-City, but I never got to race with Russ King before.”

Holtgraver used the outside to blast into the lead past 14-year-old pole-sitter Shane Weaver with Mike Blose, Billy Cunningham, and Robbie Blair in tow. Holtgraver quickly began to show his muscle pulling away from the field on lap two. Blair, who started sixth, passed Cunningham for fourth on lap two. A caution for a spin by Tommy Kronenwetter, Jr., who was making his first FASTRAK start in a couple seasons, slowed action with six laps scored.

When racing resumed, Robbie Blair passed Blose for third on the restart. One lap later, the Super Late Model great put a slider on Weaver in turn two for runner-up. Blair now had a straightaway deficit to Holtgraver. All eyes shifted to Russell King, who was making his FASTRAK debut. King started 11th and moved forward becoming a contender when he passed Blose for fourth on lap 10. Three laps later King caught Weaver, but it took him three laps to pass the youngster for third.

Meanwhile back up front, Holtgraver continued his straightaway advantage, but he was in heavy lapped traffic on lap 16. Weaver’s great run ended when he looped his car in turn four running in fourth to bring out the caution with 18 laps completed. When green replaced yellow, Blose fought back by King for third until the final caution of the event was displayed with 19 laps in when Weaver and Michael Mitchell tangled.

Back under green flag conditions, King used the outside to his advantage passing both Blose and Blair in turn one for second, while eighth starting Newt Tackett got a great restart to pass Blose for fourth. Holtgraver began to pull away again, while the battle raged for second. Blair was all over King as the two ran side-by-side on lap 22, but King was able to maintain the spot.

Back up front, Holtgraver was never challenged as he took the checkered flag with his fist in the air by a margin of 3.563 seconds in the D&T Auto Body/Weaver Auto Sales/Knobeloch Heating & Cooling/Weidner Heating & Air/Zarin Trucking Automotive/Flinner Signs & Decals/Racers for Tots/Simpson-sponsored #00 Rocket Chassis.

“We’ve had a lot of people helping us out this year- Russ King, John Flinner has helped me for years,” explained Holtgraver. “We have a new sponsor this year with Bob from Knobeloch Heating & Cooling. I couldn’t do this without my dad, and my sister is with me all of the time. I can’t thank those guys and all my sponsors enough and everything they do for me.”

It was a great debut for King, who passed nine cars to finish second over Blair. Tackett was the highest finishing “Futures Cup” driver placing a career Touring best fourth over Blose. Max Blair, who won last Sunday’s Northeast Touring event at Canada’s Humberstone Speedway, came from 15th to finish sixth to maintain his point lead. Opening 2011 Roaring Knob Touring Series winner, Mike Pegher, Jr., was seventh. Joe Martin, who had won three of his four starts this season at Sharon, came all of the way from 22nd to finish eighth. Rocky Kugel turned in his career best Touring finish in ninth over Josh Double.

Making just his second start in the John and Janet Powell #100 and first ever Touring start, Brian Lessley led all eight laps of the non-qualifier race as part of the “Wheelman” Bonus Event Challenge Series. The Orbisonia, Pa. racer took over from pole-sitter John Volpe on the opening lap and never looked back for the $150 victory. Volpe held on to second. Matt Latta passed Butch Lambert on lap seven to finish third. Lambert dropped to fourth. Former Mod Lite racer, Tony Tatgenhorst, made his FASTRAK debut and finished fifth.

The first ever FASTRAK King of the Hill took place pitting the top eight drivers from the 2010 points vs. the top eight finishers in the feature. Mike Pegher, Jr. came through the brackets as the 2011 champion defeating Russell King in the five-lap finale. The Wexford, Pa. driver of the Lynn Geisler-owned, Cochran Automotive #1C donated all $500 of his winnings back to the American Cancer Society! The event was put on by Tori Martin, sister of FASTRAK star Joe Martin.

With over 40 cars on hand, five heat races were run, which went to Holtgraver, Blose, Tackett, Double, and Pegher. The two B mains were won by Andrew Wylie and Bobby Whitling.

Shane Weaver, who had such a great night finishing second in his heat and running up front for 18 laps before spinning, was the last car on the lead lap in the feature and earned the free Hoosier Tire presented by Utsinger’s Towing and the regional Hoosier Tire distributors.

The two Original Pizza Logs $1,000 Contingency Packages were won by Robbie Blair and Rick Strickler, who finished third and 22nd respectively.

The Bill Emig Memorial “Wild Card Weekend” will resume on Monday at Lernerville Speedway as the Sweeney Chevrolet Buick GMC FASTRAK Northeast Late Model Touring Series makes its maiden voyage at the Sarver, Pa. oval. FASTRAK will join the USAC National Sprint Car Series in this long-awaited event.

Once again, $1,500 to-win will be up for grabs on Monday. Also, the Bill Emig Memorial “Wild Card Weekend” Champion will be determined. FASTRAK member racers drew cards on Saturday night to add to their point scores. After Sharon, Robbie Blair currently leads Russell King and Mike Blose by one-point. Pegher sits fourth three points back with Holtgraver fifth five points back. The top 15 racers in points after Monday’s event will receive cash and contingencies with the champion earning $500 and an engraved championship plaque clock.

Sweeney Chevrolet Buick GMC FASTRAK Late Model Northeast Late Model Touring Series Race #3 (25 laps, $1,500 to-win): 1. JOSH HOLTGRAVER (00) 2. Russell King (56) 3. Robbie Blair (W11) 4. Newt Tackett (68) 5. Mike Blose (5) 6. Max Blair (111) 7. Mike Pegher, Jr. (Geisler 1c) 8. Joe Martin (55) 9. Rocky Kugel (21KRT) 10. Josh Double (38) 11. Billy Cunningham (44c) 12. George Kowatic (5) 13. Bobby Whitling (7W) 14. Damian Bidwell (17) 15. Dan Angelicchio (14) 16. Andrew Wylie (84) 17. Chad Wright (6) 18. Tommy Kronenwetter, Jr. (4K) 19. Clay Ruffo (14R) 20. Shane Weaver (Ruffner 325X) 21. Michael Mitchell (19) 22. Rick Strickler (Lake 48) 23. Kyle Zimmerman (z17) 24. Tyler Barris (32B) 25. Mike Laughard (38L)-DNS.

Non-Qualifier Bonus Event (8 laps, $150 to-win): 1. Brian Lessley (Powell 100) 2. John Volpe (Bidwell B1D) 3. Matt Latta (21) 4. Butch Lambert (27) 5. Tony Tatgenhorst (63) 6. Jason Reagle (888) 7. Jamie Brown (135) 8. Lauren Longbrake (27) 9. Alan Dellinger (Williams 8)-DNS 10. Shane Hitt (2*)-DNS 11. Darren Peters (1P)-DNS 12. Bobby Pifer III (6)-DNS 13. Ryan Montgomery (12)-DNS 14. Bill Cunningham (59)-DNS 15. Steve Dixon (50)-DNS 16. Eric Wilson (27)-DNS.

Heat winners: Holtgraver, Blose, Tackett, Double, Pegher
B main winners: Wylie, Whitling
King of the Hill ($500 to-win): Pegher over King
Feature lap leaders: Holtgraver (1-25)
Car count: 41

Original Pizza Logs “Contingency Connection” $1,000 package winners: Robbie Blair, Rick Strickler
Utsinger’s Towing “Hoosier Tire” Giveaway: Shane Weaver

FASTRAK Northeast’s 2011 marketing partners include Sweeney Chevrolet Buick GMC, The Original Pizza Logs, Bully Dog, Contingency Connection, Utsinger’s Towing, and Hoosier Tire.

You can reach co-directors Vicki Emig and Mike Leone at the FASTRAK Northeast office at 724-964-9300. E-mail to info@fastraknortheast.com and snail mail to 4368 Route 422, Pulaski, PA 16143. The office is open daily late mornings and after 1:30 p.m. For more information, check out the FASTRAK Northeast website at www.fastraknortheast.com. Become our fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fastraknortheast.

###