PDA

View Full Version : Any benefits to NO shock on front of LR?

lovindirt66x
05-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Is it better forward drive with shock on front of LR? Or two shocks on LR?

Egoracing
05-29-2011, 01:18 PM
LR = Shock/spring on the rear = most bite, Shock/spring on rear dummy on front = is less drive. Shock and spring in front = least amount of drive.

lovindirt66x
05-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Ego, with just one shock on the LR behind with spring and nothing on front of birdcage, what valving and gas pressure shock?

lovindirt66x
05-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Ego, any down side to no shock on front of the LR birdcage?

gadirtracer
05-29-2011, 01:56 PM
I have added a "traction shock" to the LR front w/a 5-3 gas shock in the back and picked up a throttle push. So, in my recent experience, a high compression, low rebound shock in front=more traction.

gadirtracer
05-29-2011, 02:13 PM
The front shock will provide more damping than the rear shock.
The front shock will also help the driver keep the car on the bars on a track where you have to get all the way out of the gas.
A front dummy shock(w/spring behind) is nothing but a hike limiter. (I don't care what Joe's book says!;)

jedclampit
05-29-2011, 10:44 PM
The front shock will also help the driver keep the car on the bars on a track where you have to get all the way out of the gas.
A front dummy shock(w/spring behind) is nothing but a hike limiter. (I don't care what Joe's book says!;)

Well put and correct....sorry Joe!:cool:

shawburn
05-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Does anyone run a dummy shock behind with spring and "real" shock in front? I am thinking of trying this, but what would be good valving and gas pressure for front shock?

charcoal01
05-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Most 4 bar mods run that setup. Spring slider behind and a 9-2 or 7-3 in front.

joedoozer
05-31-2011, 10:01 AM

Joe's book is a guide not a bible haha, I don't swear by it. I listened to your advice last race and it served me well :).

I currently have a 8c 2r behind my LR and nothing in front. Going from a fixed 4 valve to this shock tightened the car up on the throttle alot. I will run this set up for at least a few races before I try moving the shock locations. I have a few other things to change first.

helper
05-31-2011, 11:57 AM
What if the traction shock is mounted on a clamp bracket?

gadirtracer
06-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Does anyone run a dummy shock behind with spring and "real" shock in front? I am thinking of trying this, but what would be good valving and gas pressure for front shock?

I'd be conservative on valving going w/a gas shock in the front, maybe in the 5-2 or 6-2 w/around 100PSI of nitrogen. Lates have a lot more tire on the ground than a mod.
Depends on the track/and/or condition too(wet & heavy vs. dry & slick). Off or on the gas on entry.....driver feel.....etc....

gadirtracer
06-01-2011, 10:50 PM
What if the traction shock is mounted on a clamp bracket?

More compression in a clamped front shock would take traction away as it would resist compression with pinion wrap. I think...:confused:

jedclampit
06-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Putting the front shock on a clamp type mount gives body lift with pinion wrap.....extra kick in the ass , when its needed.
Now what if you put a spring on there too?:rolleyes:

Egoracing
06-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Putting the front shock on a clamp type mount gives body lift with pinion wrap.....extra kick in the ass , when its needed.
Now what if you put a spring on there too?:rolleyes:

SSSHhhhhhh That is a secret!!!! HAHA! Kinda like a clamp on both sides in front with shock and springs on both along with shocks and springs on the birdcages.