PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Transmission Mounts???

gadirtracer
05-30-2011, 03:04 AM
Car is set up for solid engine mounts...should the stock cross member to transmission mount be solid or rubber?

This is a Camaro uni-bodied chassis. Frames have been tied together, front to back, but not x'ed. Steel scatter shield, 3 speed Saginaw, 300ish hp SBC.
Had a rubber mount in it. It broke. Worried if I put a solid trans mount in it, I'll bust the trans case from the frame flexing.
Thanks for any replies, suggestions.

82Motorsports
05-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Was it one of the stock OEM type rubber mounts? If so, they won't hold up. Definitely don't go solid as you said it will bust bellhousing, etc. Get a good trans mount with the polyurethane inside, it will take more abuse and still allow it to flex.

dirty white boy
06-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Was it one of the stock OEM type rubber mounts? If so, they won't hold up. Definitely don't go solid as you said it will bust bellhousing, etc. Get a good trans mount with the polyurethane inside, it will take more abuse and still allow it to flex.
yup,..what he said!! im in middle of doing the same thing!! no on solid trans mount!!

gadirtracer
06-01-2011, 09:12 PM

Yes, it was a new stock rubber trans mount. Lasted 4 nights. I'll get a poly mount. Thanks.