PDA

View Full Version : Crown jewel events?

Mitch17
05-31-2011, 05:53 PM
I was curious as to which races were the crown jewel races. I figured a few would be the dream, the world, the show me, Knoxville nationals, dtwc...which other events are crown jewels, and what makes them crown jewel events? Is it because they are big money races?

Thanks for any comments! I'm just curious.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-31-2011, 05:57 PM
The World 100....

That is all.

play4kps
06-01-2011, 05:55 PM
North south. Maybe the best. Also the hillbilly. Commonwealth cup. And maybe Pittsburgh

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
-If you get a place in the starting field for anything other than some sort of racing accomplishment on the weekend in question, it is not a "Crown Jewel". That automatically rules out ANY sanctioned race.

-If you are missing some of the top drivers because they believe chasing points in some alphabet soup series is a better use of their time, then you don't have a "Crown Jewel".

-If your race doesn't even have history that reaches back to the conservative UMP bodies with wedge nose days, then you don't have a "Crown Jewel".

I could go on and on....

Some people think there are 3 "Crown Jewels" per month on the schedule.

JMO

SDDTRF
06-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Shoot, almost every event these days has something scheduled against it. It's called greed.

The Cedar Lake Speedway USA Nationals in WisconSIN may not be considered a CJ event, but that whole 3-day weekend has alot going for it and the area in which that track is located is awesome w/plenty to do at and away from the track.

GA-DIRT
06-02-2011, 03:36 PM
What I had always been taught.

Show Me
Dream
World 100
Hilbilly 100
DTWC
Topless 100
Shootout when it was at Dixie 2 day show

NormP
06-02-2011, 03:38 PM
The N/S 100 would definitely qualify as a crown jewel. And it's sanctioned.

It's been around since 1982--it has established itself as a crown jewel event.

There are more crown jewel events than just the World 100.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-02-2011, 06:39 PM
The N/S 100 would definitely qualify as a crown jewel. And it's sanctioned.

It's been around since 1982--it has established itself as a crown jewel event.

There are more crown jewel events than just the World 100.

That is your opinion which you are entitled to. I think it is a big regional race. GA-Dirt listed the Topless and left it off. Must not mean much to some in GA. I remember when the Kings said their race didn't need sanction. I could respect it more then.

Jody Shannon
06-02-2011, 07:51 PM
There is no such thing as a crown jewel event anymore.

dirtfan83
06-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Dream, World, Topless, Firecracker, Show Me and Dirt Track World Championships, North South 100, Knoxville Nationals are prob the biggest Events.

NormP
06-02-2011, 08:14 PM
That is your opinion which you are entitled to. I think it is a big regional race. GA-Dirt listed the Topless and left it off. Must not mean much to some in GA. I remember when the Kings said their race didn't need sanction. I could respect it more then.

If I'm not mistaken Jody Shannon lives in Ohio, and he doesn't think much of the Dream, so by your logic it isn't a crown jewel event either because it doesn't mean much to someone in Ohio.

I listed the N/S and left off the Topless. So apparently it doesn't mean much to some in Kentucky. I guess that means it isn't a crown jewel event.

But you've already said the World 100 is the only crown jewel event, so I guess everyone is wrong.

dirtfan83
06-02-2011, 08:26 PM
They tend to be races with significant tradition or 100 lap big money events that draw in the largest crowds and a lot of cars......

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken Jody Shannon lives in Ohio, and he doesn't think much of the Dream, so by your logic it isn't a crown jewel event either because it doesn't mean much to someone in Ohio.

I listed the N/S and left off the Topless. So apparently it doesn't mean much to some in Kentucky. I guess that means it isn't a crown jewel event.

But you've already said the World 100 is the only crown jewel event, so I guess everyone is wrong.

I don't see how it can be a "Crown Jewel" if it is up for debate. That is the point. I would give a kidney to win a World 100 globe. I could care less about the rest.

JG44G
06-03-2011, 02:42 AM
My opinion is the north south is one of the best races of the year whether it is a crown jewel or not. The racing is always top notch and the overall payout is very good compared to some of these so called crown jewel events they have in that ohio track. I would give anything to see jason jamison win this race this year.