PDA

View Full Version : anyone use a plastic fan?

smokey 4 president
06-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Wonderin how a plastic fan would do. Seems like the blades would flatten out at high rpm. Anybody use one?

stock car driver
06-03-2011, 01:31 PM
No

I run a steep pitched 4 blade steel 18 or 19 inch and have chassis dynoed with it off and there was no hp difference to the rear wheels.

Graff Spee
06-04-2011, 01:50 AM
No

I run a steep pitched 4 blade steel 18 or 19 inch and have chassis dynoed with it off and there was no hp difference to the rear wheels.

You must live by these words to be victorious! ;-)

hogracer3d
06-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Check your rules, plastic fans are not legal at any track around here

They are specifically excluded, as a safety hazard

Egoracing
06-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Check your rules, plastic fans are not legal at any track around here

They are specifically excluded, as a safety hazard

I think that is funny, I have see a few plastic come apart but they usually only damage the radiator if anything but, the tracks will allow the cheap flex fans that are riveted together and I have seen them come apart and cut through a factory steel hood or fender and keep going. We were at Desoto speedway (big 3/8 mile asphalt) once and the aluminum paddle from a fan fell from the sky and landed in the pits on the pit road. The pits are WELL behind the stands and the cars were on the front straight when it hit the ground.

carowner73
06-05-2011, 10:03 PM
No

what he said

bushracing67
06-06-2011, 11:02 PM
i have been running a plastic fan for several years, prolly doesn't pull the air a 4 blade pulls, but they are a lot lighter and create way less harmonics.... if you can run one with out cooling issues i say go for it

cautrell05
06-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I have ran them for over 10 years. never had one or seen one come apart. I run them in all but the hottest days. If its over 90 i will put my 6 blade on and it will pull another 10-20 degrees off but if its in the low 80s the plastic runs around 210.

Nick

SRXSRULE
06-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Would you guys believe it if I told ya on back to back dyno pulls that a 17" plastic fan lost torque and hp compared to a 17" steel 6 blade fan :) Eric

bushracing67
06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
no, im sure there was some other variable that caused the numbers change, no one expects the fan to make more horsepower, but i bet my water pump will last longer with out an out of balance 8lb gm 4 blade on there

SRXSRULE
06-09-2011, 06:55 PM
It wasn't just one pull. We made three pulls with each fan. Same result each time. You would be surprised what does and does NOT work when you spend the time testing. Eric

bushracing67
06-09-2011, 09:18 PM
if that is the case, that would leave me to believe that the plastic fan was pulling more air than the other blades you tested, i see no other reason that it would take away hp

DaveBauerSS6
06-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Customer called me out on a noise. He was running a plastic fan on a 1 to 1 pulley setup. Made a loud flutter noise at 4000 and up. Put a timing lite on it and the blades were turning over center, between the hub mounting area and the blade where it folds 90 degrees. Went to a 30% reduction and the noise went away.

Racingtech
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
I have used the plastic fan for years with no prblems even on hot days. You have to have a good shroud and space it up close enought to the radiator. I have had the metal steep pitch 4 blade pull the mounting hub off the water pump when I spaced it out close to the radiator. Also in a wreck once the radiator was pushed into the fan and the damage to the radiator was repairable. Good luck

let-r-eat
06-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Remember.

Engines want air! Nice fresh cool air......The better the fan works the more Cool air is available........

The plastic fans won't move near as much air as a nicely pitched steel fan. They flatten out too much......