PDA

View Full Version : Roll Steer?

hobbyracerbn2
06-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Ok Im gettin a little confused about this rollsteer...Takin rollsteer out of car will loosen a chassis right?? i have been changin angles on the 4 bar to get my car to loosen up,been goin with the grt guide..I dont know if im goin backwards or what?? Car is always throttle push..it says in the book to lower lrt rod and raise bottom lrb rod..I have done all this seems to not change much? If i could just get someone to explain to me how to tell the difference in these rollsteers and how to adjust to them?? thanx

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Rollsteer loosens the car. It is the rear end steering like a forklift. Angling any bar upward increases rollsteer.

The problem is that the bar angles also load the rear during acceleration, and bar angle adjustments affect the spring rates.

hobbyracerbn2
06-03-2011, 01:21 PM
so if i put more angle in both bars on the drivers side the car will be free...also as the passenger side more angle will tighten car? Make sure im undrstandin right sorry

joedoozer
06-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Rarely when you make a change, will it only effect 1 part of the car or corner.

Generally speaking the more angle in the bars (on both sides)the more rollsteer the car will have. Because as the chassis "tips" over to the right in the corner. It will move the RR back and the LR forward. But that is only 1 of the things it will effect.

Spend some time reading and studying the diagrams in the middle of the book. Pictures always seem to make more sense sometimes haha.

dualdj1
06-03-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm not real familiar with 4 bar settings, but the basic premise of roll steer is that as your car rolls over, either a) right side wheel base gets longer (more distance between RF and RR than LF and LR), b) the left side gets shorter, or c) a combination of both.

To have 0 roll steer, your axle would move straight up and down as the car rolls (on both sides) with no front to back movement, OR both sides would move front to back the same amount, so your wheel base on both sides remains equal.

Look at where your bars are set, and try to envision how the axle will move front to rear as the car rolls over, and it'll help with your bar settings.