PDA

View Full Version : 604 crate water pump not bolting up

dragman777
06-04-2011, 01:43 AM
trying to bolt a short water pump to my 604 crate motor and its touching the timing cover bolt. i even took the bolt out just to see if it would seal then. and i can see that even if i grinded to bolt down some it still would not work. ive allready got pulleys for a short style water pump and i had to space out the crank pulley allready so if I got a long style i would have to buy pulleys all over again. any ideas. if i went to oreillys what water pump would i ask for. year etc

mqdirtracer57
06-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Are you trying to use a stock off the shelf pump from a parts store? I didn't think the casting would be different. Could it be the plate on back of the pump hitting?

brad hibbard
06-04-2011, 08:50 AM
it is very common to have to grind the long timing cover bolt on the fuel pump side of the engine.

but if you took it out and it still does not fit you will have to run water pump spacers and then space your pulleys accordingly

I would try clearencing the pump a little and the bolt alot

make sure you remove the bolt to grind on the head----so you don't melt the plastic timing cover

BTDT
06-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Our motor has spacers that I believe came from CV products. About 1/8" and pulleys are spaced with washers. Works fine just buy precision washers from line fastenal not home depot.:cool: