PDA

View Full Version : roller rockers

Everfaster
06-04-2011, 09:04 PM
are all after market roller rockers the same?? 2.3 steel head, big valve, fully ported..
if you get them from Esslinger, or other can you mix and match?? I have 3 busted roller rockers... what is the best apporach..

thanks
Everfaster

let-r-eat
06-05-2011, 02:14 AM
No they are not all the same, but oem ones work well. If you are breaking rockers regularly I would suggest getting someone who knows these heads to hook you up.....

Everfaster
06-05-2011, 11:08 AM
nope not braking the rerularly, A hunk of rubber got tossed into the timing belt and blew it off... I can assume that the pistons made contact with the valves and busted the rockers. I'd like to try and fix it my self... but i want it RIGHT. i bought it this way... I knew most of the history of the motor and car, and owners..builders... it was a good buy for the price. the guy i got it from didn't have a clue or the desire to fix it...
any help would be great
Everfaster

crcltrakr
06-05-2011, 10:29 PM
If you haven't already done so, fashion a light sheet metal "belly pan" full width of the radiator from the bottom of the radiator to the front cross member, This will cut down on the amount of trash tossed up into the drive belt, and save a lot of grief (and busted parts).

Headhunter
06-06-2011, 10:03 AM
If it broke followers it has bent valves.

Dan32
06-06-2011, 10:23 AM
nope not braking the rerularly, A hunk of rubber got tossed into the timing belt and blew it off... I can assume that the pistons made contact with the valves and busted the rockers. I'd like to try and fix it my self... but i want it RIGHT. i bought it this way... I knew most of the history of the motor and car, and owners..builders... it was a good buy for the price. the guy i got it from didn't have a clue or the desire to fix it...
any help would be great
Everfaster

u prolly have bent valves and seats that need working on as well u need a machinest!!

Everfaster
06-06-2011, 06:25 PM
yep, i presumed the same. I'm sure i have some bent valves... I want to try and fix it my self... I got some advise on how to check the valves. looking or advise on how to figure out the rollers.
thanks all.

38racing
06-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Be careful, bent valves can be tricky to deterime some times. Two summers ago, out of town at a two day special, blew the timing belt on the first night. Pulled the head, laid it on it's side and poured water in the cambers and eveything held just fine and the valves seemed to move nice and smooth. Put head back on and finished the weekend because I didn't have a spare head with.Got home, pulled head again, checked with the right tools at the shop, and found every exhaust valve was bent. So if the advice was to fill the chambers with water or something similar, I wouldn't trust it.

dannyracer6
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Just out of curosity, Have you heard this engine run since it did the rocker damage. If not I would look further into it. If you are going to pull the head, I would look at the bottom end as well. Your "good" deal may not be as good as you might think. I, too, suspect bent valves, but you might have other internal stuff bad too. Just a thought.

Dan