PDA

View Full Version : powerglide problem

29B
06-05-2011, 01:28 PM
My pg keeps pushing the tailshaft bushing out,which in turn knocks the rear seal out. This has happend three times so far. In as few as 3-4 laps on a half mile track. I have change the tailshaft housing,had the driveshaft retubed and balanced,loc-tited the bushing in,used jb weld on the bushing. We checked the driveshaft angles. The pinion was 1 deg. down and the trans was 4 deg. down. I installed 1 inch spacers under the trans mount to get the trans at 2.5 deg. down. The change in the trans angle and the new driveshaft took away my vibration but the bushing came out again. The trans was rebuilt over the winter,one thing we noticed is there seems to be very little fluid in the tailshaft housing when it is removed. Could the bushing not be getting enough lube? It is not discolored but it has worn thru the silver coating to the brass. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

SRXSRULE
06-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I had this same problem a few years ago. I did the same thing, kept replacing the bushing, lock-tite, etc. Nothing worked.

I then changed the housing again, lock-tited a new National brand bushing/seal, and then used emry cloth on the slip yoke untill it slid in and out of the bushing very easy. Has been problem free for 3 years now. Eric

29B
06-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks srsxrules. We were wondering if we should clearance the bushing a little bit. The slip yoke never had to be forced in but the new bushings may have been too snug. I will give it a try.

Chaps46
06-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Had that happen once last year. I reinstalled the bushing, took a punch and penned about 8 spot on the flat face perpendicular to the bushing (behind the seal) and put it back together. Never had another problem.

29B
06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks chaps46. I may just use your advice and that of srxsrule on the next bushing. I thought about getting a tailshaft housing with a bearing in it, but i still do'nt know the cause of the problem.