PDA

View Full Version : Rayburn 4 bar HELP!!!!!!!!

racer15
06-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Ok I'm giving up on the swingarm set up. Is anyone out there having any luck with a 4 bar setup on rayburn, and if so what is a good staring point for shocks and spings. I currently just have the rayburn konis. Also what about running the pull bar, or do I need to get rid in the pull bar and add a 6th coil to the ladder bar, and if so what shock and sping combo do you recomend, and what do I need center to center for that, as there is no top mount, so I would need to make one. Also what about a bird cage for the left rear, I will need to purcahse one so i'm looking for suggestions. should I run a shock behind or in front of the bird cage. Any help would be appreciated

Scott11JS
06-05-2011, 11:07 PM
check your pm's

dualdj1
06-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Just curious as to why you decided to give up on the swingarm. What can't you make it do? It's taken us a while, but we've been able to dial it in to be pretty competitive with the 4 bar cars.

racer15
06-06-2011, 08:33 AM
The track I race at generally it gets pretty dryslick, and I can never get the car to hook up no matter what I try. I have tried many different spring combinations, moved the rear bars around, and of course moved the pull bar to the left. I have also tried more cross weight, less cross weight and it still sucks!There are maybe 4-5 rayburns that run at this track and we all seem to be back of the pack cars, and lapped by the leaders just about every week.

dualdj1
06-06-2011, 12:26 PM
pm sent on setup

old17ford
06-06-2011, 06:00 PM
we would like a setup to for dry slick track .

rlj
06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
i would like it also e mail or pm rlj1115@aol.com

dualdj1
06-07-2011, 09:02 AM
lol I'm not just "giving out" setups, there's no magic one setup to be fast on the slick. it's about knowing the car and knowing how to adjust it to your driver. That being said, I don't mind helping people learn HOW to adjust their cars by pointing them in the right direction, but don't expect anyone out there to just give you a setup. It's a trial and error process, and what works for one person on one track, may be totally off base for another.

racer15
06-07-2011, 09:47 AM
I appreciate all the advice I have received so far. I agree that there is no magic setup that fits every driver. I will experiment with what I have been told so far. Rayburns seem to be a struggle for a lot of people out there. I appreciate everyone that sent me pm's and it is up to them if the want to share there setup on here. I'm sure they have put alot of time and hardwork figuring out what setup works best for them.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

lol I'm not just "giving out" setups, there's no magic one setup to be fast on the slick. it's about knowing the car and knowing how to adjust it to your driver. That being said, I don't mind helping people learn HOW to adjust their cars by pointing them in the right direction, but don't expect anyone out there to just give you a setup. It's a trial and error process, and what works for one person on one track, may be totally off base for another.

dualdj1
06-07-2011, 09:59 AM
There's just a fine line to walk. I want to see Rayburn's do well. I like the cars. And there are fewer people every year running the swingarm setup. But yes, we have put in a lot of time to get them working, so it's hard to just say here do this. I'd rather teach people the process we went through, so they can figure it out themselves, even though that's not an overnight accomplishment.

On the other hand, as CJ is gets older and more senile each year, it's nice to get feedback from others on what works and what doesn't, since he isn't much help anymore. So the only thing i'd ever ask, is to share info back to the people that help you, if you find something that works. Not exact details, just a point in the right direction :cool:

racer15
06-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I do agree that there is a very fine line to walk, when asking for help.

I have been in late models for 3 years, but helping my dad with his rayburns since 2001with no luck, struggling with the swing arm setups. I have tried all the standard rayburn stuff, like a little softer rf spring 500 instead of the 550, I have tried everything from a 275 RR up to a 500. I have put a 350 in the left rear, I have used the purple bar, currently on j-bar. I have even tried the double RR spring set up that is in the afco book which required adding a shock mount to the RR frame and putting a clamp bracket on the rearend, and purchasing a dummy shock. That setup seemed to give the car a terrible push off the corner.

lol I have put in a lot of effort, to be a back of pack car!

I think my next step is to get rid of the konis, and try some of the stuff that has been suggested.

I can understand why you might get frustrated with people asking you to pm setups to them, with no explination of what there car might be doing. If i stumble across something that works for me I don't mind sharing, as there are only 4 regulars that run rayburns at my track, and 2 of the 4 are me and my dad!

dualdj1
06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
lol completely understand Racer. We've been in late model about 4 years now, Rayburn the whole time. Keep me posted on your progress!

old17ford
06-08-2011, 09:55 PM
If you raise the ride height 1 in what about the a frame angles & rear bar angles??

dualdj1
06-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Good info F22, may have to try that.

old17ford
06-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks F22 we have 09 combo car so we may try that the next time we race !

rlj
06-09-2011, 09:37 PM
what do youset your frount rh