PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of going to a 15" wheel from a 14"

travisgm
06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm about to do some shopping for new wheels for the FWD honda accord.
I've always ran the 14" OEM steel wheels with spacers.
I'm about to order some race wheels with the right back spacing to match the spacing I had on the car.
There isn't as much of a selection in the 14" wheel market as compared to the 15"s
If I were to switch to a 15" wheel but kept the sizing with tread widths and circumferences being the same as before, would the car drive a lot different?

Also what do you have have recomendations for wheels?

They all sound to be about the same, is price the main difference, even though they are all priced pretty close to the same too?

steveshawjr
06-06-2011, 11:46 AM
14" racing wheels with lots of options

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/challenger.html

travisgm
06-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Still curious about the 15" wheel and it's effects on the car.
The shorter sidewall I'm thinking would help keep more of the tread on the track and less of the sidewall.

Doug_Guilds
06-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Biggest problem I had with going to shorter sidewalls were the tires were easier to roll off. Tubes solved that problem but I have never really seen a difference between 14 and 15in wheels with comparable tires.

travisgm
06-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Already running tubes in the 14's.
I see some tracks have a rule with no tires with less than 60 series. I just assumed the shorter sidewall was a good thing. just wanted to be sure before throwing money at new wheels and tires.

Does one wheel maker have a better reputation than the others or are they all the same for the most part?

RustyNutsRacing
06-07-2011, 08:36 AM
I say go 15, 14" tires have less size options. No one makes 14" racing tires. JMO

travisgm
06-07-2011, 11:30 AM
I noticed that too. Our track rules say DOT tire, max 7" tread width so the hoosiers don't fit.
I'm leaning towards the 15". Any recomendations on manufactures?
What makes one wheel better than the others?
I'd like the best safety bead available, any offer that, or all about the same?
What about width, 7" tread width, so would a 7"wheel or 6" be a better choice for keeping the tire on?

car62
06-07-2011, 10:30 PM
PRO-More tire size options
CON-More rotating/unsprung weight

Personally id stick with 14" wheels,there isnt a company out there that wont build you a wheel how you want it,I have had Aero make me 7" wheels with 1/2" backspacing.

www.petepaulsen.com will build you ANY wheel you want.