PDA

View Full Version : Rayburn swingarms

money17
06-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Car is great in the moisture until featur time. After 5 laps in slick feature i am loose going in and middle. No sidebite. I can pick throttle back up right before i go straight and have plenty of bite. I have an 09 rayburn with the 4 bar hole attachments. I run standard setup on bars for z link on both rear tires. I can feel the rear end move in the moisture, cant feel it in the slick. Running a 427 with a lot of torque annd hp.

Lf450 rf400
lr300 rr600
rpi shocks
short bar from pinion to driver side frame. Almost level.
Ls56%
rear57%
cross55%
weight 2355
with 12" fuel and 260lb weight for driver
pullbar inside against left side bracket
have 6" offset rim on rr
do i need to balance rear end by adding to rr such as:
1. Move pullbar to right?
2. Lower pinion mount 1/2"?
3. Take out some cross and left side?
4. Raise ride height?
5. Will moving swingarms help with roll steer?
6. Can i go to far with rear trailing arms?
7. Anything i didn't mention or need to do?

Thanks
never had swing arm angles and what they do explained to me

dualdj1
06-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Where are your trailing arms at? Where is straight bar on the pinion, can you go down with it? are you staying on that 600 all night?

pull bar should be good. Looks like you're not transferring weight to the right side, either drop your LS weight or make sure your ballast is up high so it'll roll over easier. get that straight bar clear down on the pinion (and keep some rake in it), and drop down to like a 300 rr, maybe softer.

on tacky it's ok to have the straight bar kinda level. On slick that won't let the LR hike up, which is what you need. it'll just slide the axle right across the track instead of putting weight on it. I'd say you want at least 4-6" rake.

you trailing arms settings will just help you fine tune from that point.

F22 RAPTOR
06-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Car is great in the moisture until featur time. After 5 laps in slick feature i am loose going in and middle. No sidebite. I can pick throttle back up right before i go straight and have plenty of bite. I have an 09 rayburn with the 4 bar hole attachments. I run standard setup on bars for z link on both rear tires. I can feel the rear end move in the moisture, cant feel it in the slick. Running a 427 with a lot of torque annd hp.

Lf450 rf400
lr300 rr600
rpi shocks
short bar from pinion to driver side frame. Almost level.
Ls56%
rear57%
cross55%
weight 2355
with 12" fuel and 260lb weight for driver
pullbar inside against left side bracket
have 6" offset rim on rr
do i need to balance rear end by adding to rr such as:
1. Move pullbar to right?
2. Lower pinion mount 1/2"?
3. Take out some cross and left side?
4. Raise ride height?
5. Will moving swingarms help with roll steer?
6. Can i go to far with rear trailing arms?
7. Anything i didn't mention or need to do?

Thanks
never had swing arm angles and what they do explained to me

Try dropping your LS% to around 54.5%.

money17
06-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Front and rear have (9) holes.
Left side swing arm top hole
right side swing arm 3rd hole down
left top trailing arm 5th hole down
right top trailing arm 3rd hole down

dualdj1
06-08-2011, 03:06 PM
OK. I'm not as familiar with the locations on the combo cars, the ones i've dealt with are swingarm only. But that sounds like it'd be about right. And I agree with F22, get your LS down, and soften that RR. If that still doesn't do it then work on the straight bar.

money17
06-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I know what the rear trailing arms do, can someone explain the swingarms being moved up and down and what they do each side?

Thanks

dualdj1
06-09-2011, 08:39 AM
i've got the info at home somewhere. if no one can help you i'll try and dig it out.

RACR_73s
06-10-2011, 12:56 AM
i've got the info at home somewhere. if no one can help you i'll try and dig it out.

Please do, I would also like to know what moving them would do? I have been told moving the right side swing arm down 1 hole really tightens the car alot. I am not able to get in the corner to middle because mine is soooo loose and have tried all that CJ suggest so might try this soon. Just moved LR back 1/2" and rearend left 1". I am also taking the jbar with me and may even put the rr on the bird cage like you suggest to me earlier...what spring shoul I switch to if I go on birdcage?

Not trying to steal the post, just experiencing same problem.

~Thanks~

dualdj1
06-10-2011, 09:05 AM
didn't get a chance last night, I'll try and dig out my book tonight if I remember.

money17
06-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Told to try this:
1. Angle short bar around 13*.
2. 600lb lf 450 rf
3. 300 lb on lr swingarm and 300 on birdcage on rr.
4. Put all bars in hole to neutralize bars.
5. Lr swingarm 14 1/2.
6. Lr trailing 17 1/2.
7. Rr swingarm 15 1/2.
8. Rr trailing 16 1/2.
9. About 4 1/4" difference in right side being longer than left.
10.rr 6" backspace rim.

Let u know what happens

money17
06-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Tad loose during hot laps. It was already kicking up dust. No sidebite. We adjusted short bar from 2" difference to 3" for qualifying. Improved a little. Still lacking good sidebite. Everything else fine. Adjusted short bar again to 4" difference for next set of hot laps. Found sidebite. Could run it in deep and had great forward bite. Started deep in pack for feature and couldn't make much ground, but i think we may have found a good setup. We did drop let rear arm two holes. Probaly could have kept it in neutral hole.

F22 RAPTOR
06-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Tad loose during hot laps. It was already kicking up dust. No sidebite. We adjusted short bar from 2" difference to 3" for qualifying. Improved a little. Still lacking good sidebite. Everything else fine. Adjusted short bar again to 4" difference for next set of hot laps. Found sidebite. Could run it in deep and had great forward bite. Started deep in pack for feature and couldn't make much ground, but i think we may have found a good setup. We did drop let rear arm two holes. Probaly could have kept it in neutral hole.

Where'd you end up on your LS %? Bite?

money17
06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I dont have my book with me but i wound up with 54.7 0r 54.5 the best i can remember.

BIGFREAK101
06-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Got to go up to 600 on the left front or at least a 550. Might try taking some of the rear steer out of it meaning shorten rt side or leanth LT side . You may want to try a traction shock on the left rear to hold car up on the left rear so your not having to try to get the car back up on the front bar on the left. If u got adjustable shocks try tying the right front down when it gets slick that's stiff rebound. All of this will promote drive and will help tighten on entry. You might Evan raise the left side of the car a couple turns that's (front and back )