PDA

View Full Version : I think my chassis is bent!

mignum
06-07-2011, 09:55 PM
When i put it on the jack stands on my level concrete floor the two front stands touch the frame and the left rear but the right rear is off the stand about an inch or so,do chassis builders build some cars that the rails are uneven like this or do you think my car has been wrecked? the man i bought it from said it had never been wrecked but there are a lot of non factory welds on the front frame,like around the motor mounts and some other small bars up front,looking from the back of the car the right front frame rail looks higher than the left and my shock is somewhat more extended out than the left front is,what does it sound like to you guys?

RacerX10
06-07-2011, 10:12 PM
None of that is unusual.

gadirtracer
06-08-2011, 10:30 AM
A lot of chassis, the RF is the highest point off the ground, for ground clearance. 1" is typical. Some builders will stay the same height, just move the RF bend back.

joedoozer
06-08-2011, 10:37 AM
I never like that it would "teeter" when I use 4 stands. So now i just jack up the right side first, and put 2 stands under it. Then I jack the left side up going behind the LF tire right under the pedals. And put one stand under the left side. Car is very stable and no more teeter toter.

Graff Spee
06-08-2011, 07:30 PM
If your car is bent a bit, don't tell it and it will never know!!! when I used to pull a chassis out of the jigs to do the finish welding they all would move a bit. as long as the suspension points are fine , You are good to go!

mignum
06-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys that's good info,i looked at my right front rail and its like you said it's cut a little short,so maybe its not bent.I'm not going to worry about it.