PDA

View Full Version : any ideas?!

jwracer11
06-11-2011, 09:47 PM
How do you fix a 4 wheel slide in the center of the corner? The car gets in good, but when it rolls over, I have to wait for it to stop sliding, when it finally hooks up, it comes off the corner good, but bogged down a bit. This happens when the track has plenty of bite in it. I don't have any excess j-bar. I am almost by the book on set up. It 's a 2010 Rocket. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Racer63
06-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Lazer. J/K........

jedclampit
06-12-2011, 02:08 AM
Where is your ballast mounted?

Graff Spee
06-12-2011, 02:40 AM
Where is your ballast mounted?

Yeah, you may want to raise it. How about left side? May need to lower percentage and or raise ballast placement. Have you messed with rear roll center? Are all joints lubed well? This could just be a binding issue. Tire pressure too low on rr for heavy track? (runnin on sidewall) If no spotter, look at mud staines on sidewall.

oldblue
06-12-2011, 06:28 AM
I think Graff Spree has got you covered! you got something in a bind or wgt is to low.an when ckin dont for get to ck droop on lft rear

jwracer11
06-12-2011, 09:40 AM
I was thinking something was in a bind, too... but I lube my heims every week, and went thru the rear and couldn't find anything... funny, the car was super fast until about two weeks ago.. that's why I was thinking something was bound up. The drop is set at 12 3/4... and I have the ballast set evenly... 45 lbs high along the tail end of the driveshaft, 45 lbs low along the tail end of the driveshaft, 25 lbs beside the seat (right side of the seat in the pit), and 25 lbs low near the RR lower mount. Maybe I will raise that 25 lbs off the RR...Tire pressure is around 12lbs.... Thanks, guys...
Hey Imler, I might just pull that old Lazer out if I have, too... that thing won a bunch of races, too!! LoL

crate late
06-12-2011, 10:20 PM
...Tire pressure is around 12lbs.... LoL

12 lbs on the RR. Is this normal? I usually go for around 10 or 10.5 on the RR, am I too low? What are typical tire pressures you guys are running all the way around the car? I don't mean to highjack the thread but I'm curious about this.

C10
06-12-2011, 11:22 PM
The rocket set up books says 10 LF, 12 RF, 10 RR, 6 LR

jwracer11
06-13-2011, 07:23 AM
no, 10lbs is normal... I only run 11-12lbs for qualifying when the track has a lot of bite in it. We only get about 3 laps for timed hot laps... and then I drop back to 10lbs for the feature.

jwracer11
06-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Have you hit anything or run a real rough track around the time this started? Bent ball joints and spindles will affect roll, and can sometimes be hard to spot.

;)

that's a good point, I will check them... what's the best way to check ball joints?

jedclampit
06-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Possibilities if nothing has changed with set up..and track conditions.

Shock settings if d/a shocks.
Tires.
Tire pressures, your gauge may be junk, check it against a few of your buds gauges.
If all is good, take some left side weight out.

Which way are your front wheels pointed when sliding?

Post your setup.

...............Or just slow down! :p

Graff Spee
06-14-2011, 10:57 PM
You may have a bent or blown shock! Pull em off dyno them and see how far off they are from the last sheets. Good luck!

RacerX10
06-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Agree on check shocks. Anytime my car went bad for no reason it was a broken shock issue of some sort.

jwracer11
06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
we have to run these cheap $79 pro shocks (local crate rules). they have about 15 races on them, and although they seem to be ok, I am going to change them and see what happens. I have 54.5% left side weight. should i be closer to 54%? rear weight is 54.3%
the track doesn't seem to have changed too much, but it has slown down a little bit...but we qualify right after the track is run in to start the night, so I figured that wouldn't be an issue... ball joints and spindles checked out ok...
I am going to see what the new shocks, raising a little ballast does and maybe try somewhere around 54.3% left side.
thanks for everyone's input. much appreciated!!

matt8
06-17-2011, 10:54 AM
drop on lr should be at 13 to 13 1/4 or car wont get on bars properly

talclipse
06-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Agreed with the LR droop measurement. I have an 09 combo front car and had similar issues as you describe and getting my left side weight down closer to 54% and my ballast raised helped a bunch. Where do you have your motor mounted?

rubbinsracin
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
i would try to get the LS% down. we had that problem at the beginning of the year and and when we lowered it to 53.5-54% it helped a bunch.

also, you said you are running some $79 shocks. where do you get them and what are they exactly?

Racer63
06-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Theyre the WB Pro Shocks. We buy them from the local parts guys with the tracks name engraved in them. Got to run 5's on the front and have a choice of 5 or 4-6 on the rear. Not sure what Joe is running. Theyre actually 64.00 shocks we have to pay 79.00 for

rubbinsracin
06-17-2011, 01:54 PM
ic. so you have to buy a coilover kit for them? that would really keep the cost down per shock even if you do because a coilover kit is only like $30. but not if they only last a few races before they loose their consistency. sucks that you really have no ability to tune with shocks though.

Racer63
06-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Not to hijack Joes thread but yeah we buy coilover kits for them. I haven't had a problem with them going bad and it's for sure a lot cheaper than an open shock rule. And as far as tuning, just tune with other things on the car. Not like there is shortage of that with a 4 link.....

jwracer11
06-22-2011, 09:42 PM
yea, it's cool that it keeps costs down, but the cars would really go around there better if we could atleast use the right valvings. It also limits us from gaining any shock knowledge if we did decide to travel, but it has good points and bad...
but to fill you guys in, I took LS down to 54% and raised some lead and it seemed to really help. the motor is mounted down and to the left. Thanks for all your input.
It was much appreciated! - Joe