PDA

View Full Version : Ballast placement? (metric with Tight Entry problem)

T_Spencer
06-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Guys,

I'm helping a friend with his metric street stock. We have a very tight car on entry (off throttle). Especially on a tacky track ..of course.

I want to free up the right rear by moving some of his ballast to left.

We don't have access to scales at his shop. He did have it scaled once before I started helping him, but the guy really didn't know what he was doing.(long story) The only useful peace of info I was able to get out of my friend is that it has 52 % rear. For crossweight settings I've been using the ole' floor jack and socket method in the middle of the rearend. I know we need to get it back on the scales.

When the track drys out we run pretty good. However, in the tacky heats it still has alot of push going in(off the throttle). I'm wanting to free up the right rear by moving his ballast to the left. We currently have it (150#) centered at frame height just ahead of the fuel cell. With the floor jack the right rear is coming up about 2 inches before the left.

I currently have him running this set-up

2900# car

52% rear

Springs
LF 1000 RF 1200
LR 225 RR 200

Shocks
LF 5 RF 6
LR 5/3 RR 4

Lower trailing arms
Both sides 3 degrees up to the frame.

Upper arms
Both approx. 15 degrees down to the frame.

1/2" rake.

Front lowers level (ball joint pivot and frame bolt level)

No rear stagger.

Again, right rear up 2 inches on floor jack method.

I know that no rear stagger and the left rear easy up shock are hurting us, but I still feel we need to move weight.

My question is .. when I move the lead to the left do I reset the the crossweight so that the right rear still comes of the floor 2 inches before the left. Will this just load the right rear again. Or do I just go with whatever moving the lead gives me? I know that either way I will have more left %, which is what I want. I'm just afraid of creating a push when throttle is applied.

Also, I know we can play with off-sets and spacers to gain left rear weight, but he is limited on wheels and we would like to run what we have for now. ...3 offs on rear.
Thanks for any help.

Tim

dirt2
06-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Tim
Contact me @ dbroy@lnology.net
Will be glad to help you.
Thanks
dirt2

T_Spencer
06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
dirt2,

Thanks for offering to help. Unfortunately our IT here at work is blocking your email address. I'll try to send you a private message on this site or send an email from home tonight. Thanks again.

T_Spencer
06-13-2011, 03:24 PM
dirt2

private message sent

DaveBauerSS6
06-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Tim
Contact me @ dbroy@lnology.net
Will be glad to help you.
Thanks
dirt2
Sucks to look at these threads and get this B.S. answer.
dirt2 get your own web site and PM everyone.

Egoracing
06-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Lowering the ballast and/or moving it to the left will loosen the car up on entry. See if you can move it straight left and lower in the chassis. Get an extra set of mounts and leave the originals sence they are in a good spot for a dry/slick track that way you can go back to the original location easily.
If you reset the reat to get the saem drop you will be really close to the saem weight you have now and the car would drive about the same. I would just try moving the weight.

Dirtrunner35
06-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Fix what you see first.
I know that no rear stagger and the left rear easy up shock are hurting us, add stagger and

Switch the front shocks and put a 5 on the LR. What tire pressures are you running?