PDA

View Full Version : what your cooling tip?

rubbinsracin
06-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Well the real heat of summer is almost here. Whats that one tip you could give to someone to help keep their motor cool during these long summer nights....

what does everyone use and what would be your one tip to help keep a car cool?

sj valley dave
06-16-2011, 02:59 PM
No one tip I have ever found...Just a well thought out system from one end to another...3 rows of tape on a 105* day and it runs 200* on gas...

Egoracing
06-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Tip #1 Goto Stewarts Components and read their tips and frequently asked questions and live by them.
Tip #2 Use a kiddie pool and use it often!!!!!
Pull the radiator from the car and put it tubes up in the pool. Put a few drops of Dawn dish soap in the pool and fill it with water to cover the radiator. Leave it set over night and gently lift and lower the radiator a few times and leave it alone again. If the water gets to dirty change it. Rinse the radiator from rear to the front with a water hose until clean!!!! You will be amazed how much dirt will be in there!!!
(I know you said one but both are important)

SRXSRULE
06-16-2011, 09:20 PM
I strongly agree on washing your radiator after every night.

I use a long rech, flex head water sprayer (the kind you use to water flowers and plants). I wash mine with hot water from the inside out, Top to bottom. The fine dirt just rolls out of the fins. On a 19x31 radiator I would guess I spend 4-5 minutes just washing the radiator clean. Eric

Egoracing
06-16-2011, 09:44 PM
I strongly agree on washing your radiator after every night.

I use a long rech, flex head water sprayer (the kind you use to water flowers and plants). I wash mine with hot water from the inside out, Top to bottom. The fine dirt just rolls out of the fins. On a 19x31 radiator I would guess I spend 4-5 minutes just washing the radiator clean. Eric

Wash it out once and then take it out and try the pool method and see what else comes out. We washed ours weekly and it still had tons of dirt in it!

joedoozer
06-17-2011, 07:44 AM
I haven't tried the pool method but I do take it out and wash it after every race. Some shrouds in front of the radiator have helped me. Funneling air into the radiator. They use to go straight out to the nose, now I have them angled out to the sides. So it grabs more air. So far so good.

dluna11w
06-17-2011, 08:33 AM
GM 4 blade diesel fan. I've known many that believe a 6 blade sucks more air than a 4 blade.

CJ31503
06-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Double pass radiator
1:1 pulleys
Good fan shroud
NO restrictors/thermostat
Tight belts
Speedway adjustable water pump
Gates flex hoses(Dayco hoses are junk)
500hp, 23*, all steel engine turning 8,000 rpm
100* south GA nite, engine runs 180*

Racer #42
06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
We have a 3 gallon water tank mounted under the driver with a 3/8 fuel line run to it and its run all the was to the radiator and it hooked to a piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled into it and a electric fuel pump. When im under caution my car tried to run alittle warm and i could flip a swith and it pump water straight to my radiator. Cooled in down just fine lol

Egoracing
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
We have a 3 gallon water tank mounted under the driver with a 3/8 fuel line run to it and its run all the was to the radiator and it hooked to a piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled into it and a electric fuel pump. When im under caution my car tried to run alittle warm and i could flip a swith and it pump water straight to my radiator. Cooled in down just fine lol

If the track gets dusty after that you will be done because the radiator plug right up.

stock car driver
06-25-2011, 01:14 AM
If the track gets dusty after that you will be done because the radiator plug right up.

Thats illegal around me but when I took my pavement car to a dirt track on the Canada border in Washington state they all had those set ups.

I blew my real race motor so I put the 355 out of my 79 chevy with a rv cam in my car and borrowed a truck to tow up there. Qualified 2nd fast was in 2nd going back and forth for the lead and a lap car ran into me and broke a ball joint. All with a hydraulic cam flat top oem rebuilt motor with a 650 dp on top!!

cassellracing24
06-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Tip #1 Goto Stewarts Components and read their tips and frequently asked questions and live by them.
Tip #2 Use a kiddie pool and use it often!!!!!
Pull the radiator from the car and put it tubes up in the pool. Put a few drops of Dawn dish soap in the pool and fill it with water to cover the radiator. Leave it set over night and gently lift and lower the radiator a few times and leave it alone again. If the water gets to dirty change it. Rinse the radiator from rear to the front with a water hose until clean!!!! You will be amazed how much dirt will be in there!!!
(I know you said one but both are important)

Funny how often people keep askin about cooling problems, & how often You,I,others keep posting the same thing over & over. Followed Sterwarts suggetions over 3yr ago & I have not seen over 190-200 in dead July-Aug with NO hole's in nose !!

cassellracing24
06-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Wash it out once and then take it out and try the pool method and see what else comes out. We washed ours weekly and it still had tons of dirt in it!

After following Sterwarts set up, we now have a full nose (no holes). I clean radiator every winter & thats it. Truthfully !!

wristpin
06-25-2011, 09:08 AM
The pool trick works clean mine once a month race three nights a week. Always run a big radiator and a 5/8 restriter hole in the thermosstate housing. Run some real junk motors and no holes in nose. Never come in hot.

Egoracing
06-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Funny how often people keep askin about cooling problems, & how often You,I,others keep posting the same thing over & over. Followed Sterwarts suggetions over 3yr ago & I have not seen over 190-200 in dead July-Aug with NO hole's in nose !!

We ran the setup just as he reccomends. A friend was over heating and was at the end of his rope and said to do waht I could, I set it up per stewarts and at practice at East Bay in July during the day with an on track air temp of 105 and the car only got to 210. At night that weekend we had to tape the grill to get it to 190. That was with the same motor and nose that ran HOT 250+ with a NEW tripple pass radiator and a lower hose restrictor. I put in a 3 year old single pass that was damaged slightly and removed the restrictor, built a basic shroud to pull air from the whole radiator and put panels in front to push air to the radiator.

Dirtrunner35
06-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Best 3 hours I ever spent, was to make like a air dam under the front bumper to the radiator. The sides went to the bumper and the top of the radiator sloped down along the bumper to the bottom. Never had anymore holes in the front bumper. Came off the track at 200. Stock water pump.

rubbinsracin
06-30-2011, 11:56 AM
has anyone ever used one of the SBC cooling units to help get cooler water to the heads?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Chevy-Cooling-Unit,1856.html

Emma121
07-28-2011, 02:22 AM
go to washromm and take bath

zeroracing
07-28-2011, 07:10 PM
I Run those extra cooling lines, but not like most do. I see many cars going from back on intake, up then forward then down into front of intake. I run them into a T into the water neck, so they never go back down. I don't like leaving an unventable high point.

Hope that made since.

rubbinsracin
07-29-2011, 09:03 AM
yeah. speedway motors sells a kit that does exactly what you said.

we had a fan bolt break 2 weeks ago and it destroy out shroud and beat up the fan pretty good. we ordered a new afco fan...17 1/2"....and when we got it we noticed just by eye ballin' it that 2 of the blades were longer than the others. one side was 17 13/16ths and the other side was 17 5/8s. because of this the fan would not clear the rack. we ended up taking it to the grinder and making them both 17 1/2. has anyone ever noticed this or is it just us that has had this problem? it was an afco fan that was brand new out of the box.

raceman17
07-29-2011, 09:23 AM
I tried that same setup speedway sells on a stock cast intake a few years ago. I sent it back to them because the lines that come out of the aluminm plate run directly into the runners of the intake. So depending on what style of intake you use it may or may not work. What i ended up doing was drilling and tapping the intake by the back water passage in the back of the head and getting a therostat housing that had two hole in it for different sensors and then just get the adapters to make the fittings work. If i recall the lines were only 5/16" I.D. Im my opnion this isnt very much water moving in the head to make that much of a difference. If you can run larger lines it would be better. Most of the aftermart race aluminum intakes have much much larger fittings to run #8 line.

has anyone ever used one of the SBC cooling units to help get cooler water to the heads?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Chevy-Cooling-Unit,1856.html

rubbinsracin
07-29-2011, 10:15 AM
we dont run one and personally and never have, but i have heard that some people have success with them. this last week was the hottest its been out and we ran right around 195 after the feature. it was a slick track so that is cooler than we will be if we run a heavy hammer down track, but i would only expect to see temps of around 210 on a night like that. which should be no problem at all. the guy that pits next to us runs a stock car and he pulls off the track and has 2 people waiting for him with water tanks to hose down the radiator...he said that he hits 250-60 every feature. lol thats with a molded monte nose piece that basically has the entire front of it cut out for air flow and a pretty darn good cooling system.....could be that he is running a ford motor though ;)

Cooter Swampgrass
07-31-2011, 09:54 PM
I heard if you put some alcohol in your radiator it will help keep your water temp down, never done it myself, but have seen a few people do it.

Egoracing
08-01-2011, 06:40 AM
I heard if you put some alcohol in your radiator it will help keep your water temp down, never done it myself, but have seen a few people do it.

It would be gone the first time the engine got up to temprature.

Mosidebite
08-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Straight water, with a little rust inhibitor, or just a couple drops of oil, going through a clean radiator has always served me well. And using a four blade fan.

Egoracing
08-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Stewarts told us straight water and Prestone Rust Inhibitor for pump lube and protection. Said many NASCAR teams are using the same thing and it worked great.

racerkrp1
08-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Distilled Water will help also..

Egoracing
08-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Distilled Water will help also..

If you are running a virgin aluminum block and all new stuff it will but if you are running a cast iron block or heads there is enough impurities that will get into the water that it removes the benefits as soon as you put it in. The reason Distilled works is that it is pure and will not boil. Once you introduce anything that will suspend in the water it's boiling point is back to the same place as regular water. The only other benefit it has is you are not adding any minerals or salts to the system. If you have hard water it is the best way to go, if you have good filtered water it is as good and will save you some money.

rubbinsracin
08-03-2011, 11:47 AM
we just run water right out of the garden hose hose. never had a problem. we do have a pretty strict regimen of cleaning the rad and flushing the entire system on a regular basis and i think that helps also.

another thing that i think is really overlooked is good hoses. when we ran hobby stocks years ago we just ran plain jane stock hoses and always had trouble with them. its worth it to invest in a good set of hoses with the wire in them to keep them from collapsing in a bad scenario.

stockcar5
08-03-2011, 12:29 PM
The reason Distilled works is that it is pure and will not boil.

hmm..last i checked pure (distilled) water boils at 212 degrees at sea level. maybe my physics teacher in HS was wrong? lol

stock car driver
08-03-2011, 01:57 PM
If you are running a virgin aluminum block and all new stuff it will but if you are running a cast iron block or heads there is enough impurities that will get into the water that it removes the benefits as soon as you put it in. The reason Distilled works is that it is pure and will not boil. Once you introduce anything that will suspend in the water it's boiling point is back to the same place as regular water. The only other benefit it has is you are not adding any minerals or salts to the system. If you have hard water it is the best way to go, if you have good filtered water it is as good and will save you some money.

"The reason Distilled works is that it is pure and will not boil"

BEWARE... Ego is our forum dumb dumb.. it seems every forum has at least one of them...

Less impurities will help period.

Filling your radiator with distilled and the upper hose off while pouring in more distilled will rid the block of the non distilled and will lower your temps some. Less impurities equals better...

Distilled water does boil. lol..

Egoracing
08-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Look up super-heating, this has been documented, it is where distilled water is heated above normal boiling temp (212F) and will not boil due the the facts that it is clean and has no impurities, When something is added, a spoon, tea bag, coffee, etc it instantly erupts as steam and boils. This has happened with microwaves and cups of water and was even shown on mythbusters. Water can also be superheated with adding pressure such as in the radiator of a racecar with a 32lb cap. The boiling point of water is 212 but it is NOT the boiling point of distilled water.

Egoracing
08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
"The reason Distilled works is that it is pure and will not boil"

BEWARE... Ego is our forum dumb dumb.. it seems every forum has at least one of them...

Less impurities will help period.

Filling your radiator with distilled and the upper hose off while pouring in more distilled will rid the block of the non distilled and will lower your temps some. Less impurities equals better...

Distilled water does boil. lol..

Here is more proof that you are wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0
Distilled water will not boil like tap water.
So it looks as if you are the "dumb dumb"

stock car driver
08-03-2011, 02:34 PM

dumb dumb we dont need you to keep posting links and stuff, nobody is EVER looking at them, we all know your a idiot.

The rest of us are talking about distilled water in a race motor, lol.. I realize your not since youve NEVER owned one.

stock car driver
08-03-2011, 02:42 PM
fyi- distilled doesnt have impurities so if we were talking about in a sterile environment like apparently Ego is now trying to lead us down then it wont look the same as boiling water. the impurities cause the nucleation points for the bubbles which we know as boiling water. etc.

dist water wont have those but will still super heat and the instant any impurity is added it will appear to explode or vaporize.

So unless Ego has found a way to sterilize a whole race car cooling system hes just gone off on another tangent.

mythbusters tested this, lol. the super heated distilled tossed a fork out of the glass instantly from the eruption.

Im starting to think hes sitting around now looking for ways to post stupid stuff and get some of us to correct him so he can argue. He must have a big fat wife thats bossing him around all day every day.

stockcar5
08-03-2011, 03:47 PM
He must have a big fat wife thats bossing him around all day every day.

you never know...HE might be the big fat wife. :D

as long as we are googling stuff check this out...

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswork/f/boiling-point-of-water.htm

appears that the boiling point actually increases with impuritys..not decreases like ego thinks.

Egoracing
08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
you never know...HE might be the big fat wife. :D

as long as we are googling stuff check this out...

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswork/f/boiling-point-of-water.htm

appears that the boiling point actually increases with impuritys..not decreases like ego thinks.
Watch the video and please read what was said, I said IF you kept it clean, you wont but the video proves distilled will hold a higher temp without boiling, no debate about it. If not you are just proving you are as big of an idiot as some others on here.

jedclampit
08-03-2011, 06:59 PM
So why not put salt in the water that will raise the boiling point ?:rolleyes:

Big,fat,lol.:cool:

rubbinsracin
08-04-2011, 09:01 AM
i think im going to fill my cooling system with liquid nitrogen. it will never get overheated then. maybe i should mix in some distilled water and salt? ::rolleyes:

stock car driver
08-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Ego you have NEVER been right while I was wrong keep trying..

I can go to 2-3 threads that are still on the main page where youve tried to show your brilliance and BEEN WRONG, lol... Thats without any searching effort. Its really easy because when you are proven WRONG you dissapear from that thread, most of them Im the last poster, lol...

ANYWAYS

Where are you racing this week? Post up some pics of your car!!

Im racing Thur, Cresco Iowa, friday fountain city wisconsin and sat either in iowa or missouri, 3 places to choose from for big special events.

stockcar5
08-04-2011, 11:05 AM
i found where ego is racing this weekend..
Ego's home track (http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Track-Racing-2-Pc/dp/B00005MHMH)

stock car driver
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Ego, heres my email for the pics and where your racing.

lets agree to quit cluttering up all these threads with your stupid responses.

jnjfab@live.com

Egoracing
08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Ego you have NEVER been right while I was wrong keep trying..

I can go to 2-3 threads that are still on the main page where youve tried to show your brilliance and BEEN WRONG, lol... Thats without any searching effort. Its really easy because when you are proven WRONG you dissapear from that thread, most of them Im the last poster, lol...

ANYWAYS

Where are you racing this week? Post up some pics of your car!!

Im racing Thur, Cresco Iowa, friday fountain city wisconsin and sat either in iowa or missouri, 3 places to choose from for big special events.

I do not disappear, I choose not to argue with an idiot, there is a difference, when you are wrong you will not admit it so why even worry about you, it would be like IBM worrying about a neighborhood computer shop.
As far as you proving anything other then your ineptitude about racing anything that is not 30yo technology, even when an engine builder conformed what I was saying on a post you ignored it and kept to your ramblings.
And buy your reasoning then about 99% of the crew chiefs, engineers and mechanics in Nascar, Nationwide, and Craftsman trucks must not know a single thing about racing as they do not drive a race car? For that matter I guess the crew chief in the WOO know nothing as they do not drive either, lets not forget about the engine builders that put together the power plants, they do not know anything about racing engines because they do not race...... See how stupid your points are.

rubbinsracin
08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
oh ego.....sometimes you need to leave well enough alone.

4bangerhotrod
08-04-2011, 09:01 PM
ego, the boiling point of water is 212* F the levels of impurities changes that boiling point how ever it maybe, but the boiling point of water is still 212* at 14.7psig that is unless everyone is wrong besides ego. Ego im not saying your wrong about everything but most of the time you are wrong, but when someone calls you out on it you makeup some big bs excuse about how it worked for you in a real world test or it is under different situation or jesus proved it on a dyno. but you never admit your wrong. i can imagin your the person that always got made fun of at school and at work cause you always thought you were smarter than everyone else, but they would prove you wrong so you would go home lock yourself in your room and never talk to whoever proved you wrong again. ego i know this is bad but i compare you to dyno on being a DA your name says it all EGO and i think you def have a EGO problem.
thanks
4bangerhotrod

4bangerhotrod
08-04-2011, 09:10 PM
ego, whats the point in even writing about the raised boiling point of pure water everyone knows there will never be a sterile environment on a race car therefore nothing will ever be pure. you wrote this to tryin make everyone think you are so smart and a genius, there was no point in writing that other than for that reason. but we now know your smart enough to watch myth busters. plus anyone that has ever watched it know alot of it is bs anyways.
thanks,
4bangerhotrod

Egoracing
08-05-2011, 06:58 AM
ego, whats the point in even writing about the raised boiling point of pure water everyone knows there will never be a sterile environment on a race car therefore nothing will ever be pure. you wrote this to tryin make everyone think you are so smart and a genius, there was no point in writing that other than for that reason. but we now know your smart enough to watch myth busters. plus anyone that has ever watched it know alot of it is bs anyways.
thanks,
4bangerhotrod

I never believed that there would be a completley sterrile enviroment, that is insane to believe, but that is one of the reasons that the idea that distilled would work better, the other that I already pointed out was that there are less minerals and salts to cause buildup in the cooling system. If you look at when I siad it I said the ONLY waht it may woke would be with a clean all aluminum engine because the total contamination level could be kept to the very minimum. I also said it would not have that advantage with any Iron engine.

hogracer3d
08-05-2011, 07:23 AM
It's Funny that Howe recommended me to run distilled water in it, and went on further saying to be sure and only use the stuff that says "this water is made by a process of distillation" on the label and not to use any that doesn't say that.

But then again WTF would Howe know?

Check out the lable's, that verbiage is actually on there, sometimes hard to find, but on there

It's 3 dollar investment for christ's sake, try it some time........... Lol

hogracer3d
08-05-2011, 07:27 AM
I once heard " bout time you think you know it all, it's time for you to quit"

Stock Car Driver, I think your time is here!

Lol

stock car driver
08-05-2011, 02:09 PM
It's Funny that Howe recommended me to run distilled water in it, and went on further saying to be sure and only use the stuff that says "this water is made by a process of distillation" on the label and not to use any that doesn't say that.

But then again WTF would Howe know?

Check out the lable's, that verbiage is actually on there, sometimes hard to find, but on there

It's 3 dollar investment for christ's sake, try it some time........... Lol

oops I think you got lost in the rambling of this thread. It appears your agree distilled is a way to help cool a motor. Just like I believe.

I dont know everything, far from it. BUT I do know Ego is usually wrong and is not helpfull on this forum and he doesnt race doesnt do anything on race cars period.

There are lots of forums he would enjoy and not lead people down the wrong path like he does here with incorrect information about set up, motors whatever. This is a forum to help others and SHARE information not show how smart you are.

All I do is help others on here, you dont seem to like it but then thats likely because you know Im helping make cars you race against FASTER and you like most dont actually want competition.

dirty white boy
08-05-2011, 02:13 PM
like it er not,...always some good points proven in these long wind'd arguments...but with that being said,....do yall 2 need to steep over to the corner with tape measure an whip um out an see??? i mean dayumm,..if ya cant agree on nuttun,..agree to disagree an let it go,...yall go on an on worse than that redhead i divorced!!

hogracer3d
08-05-2011, 02:53 PM
lol, I dont know if it does anything or not, I just run it because Howe suggested I do, and I figure they are in the know.

I actually contacted Howe about 5 pinholes in a brand new radiator, after 2 races (the back side), and that is where the water quality issues stemmed from, and that led to the distilled water deal, it had nothing to do with cooling properties

Competition? I love competition, help them more, there is only 2 or 3 other coil cars out here besides mine, and when their lap times will fall in the top 5 modified times, or the bottom 5 latemodel times consistantly, they will be fast enough to play

LOL

stock car driver
08-05-2011, 02:57 PM
like it er not,...always some good points proven in these long wind'd arguments...but with that being said,....do yall 2 need to steep over to the corner with tape measure an whip um out an see??? i mean dayumm,..if ya cant agree on nuttun,..agree to disagree an let it go,...yall go on an on worse than that redhead i divorced!!

I agree with you, lol.

I dont know why ego bothers on here at all. thats the point. I ignore his stupid posts but then people are told WRONG info about set up, this and that etc.

stock car driver
08-05-2011, 03:02 PM
I lost my water last night. 1st radiator Ive EVER junked!

4th roll over for this car. 2nd this year.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu150/jnjfab/66%20Racing/rolled4thtimecar.jpg

dirty white boy
08-05-2011, 03:10 PM
I agree with you, lol.

I dont know why ego bothers on here at all. thats the point. I ignore his stupid posts but then people are told WRONG info about set up, this and that etc.
yeah,...but like someone told me,...need better source than a message bord...its just open opinions,..like grains of salt...

dirty white boy
08-05-2011, 03:13 PM

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu150/jnjfab/66%20Racing/rolled4thtimecar.jpg

dayummm,..whatta ride!

stock car driver
08-05-2011, 03:23 PM
dayummm,..whatta ride!

funny thing is the series promotor and all the other people asking me if I would make it to the track to race friday?

They would never ask that of anyone with that car but me, lol... I rolled may 28th in the heat, fixed it and started the A a hour later. had to cut weld and repair a lot of parts then.

this is actually just needing the body out of the way, radiator mounts, rf horn up about half inch, left front rotor busted clean apart and left lower bj is bent like a s.

I dont think Im fixing it, Ive won near 10k this season in that car already and it doesnt owe me anything. I need to finish my new car its at least 300 lighter and should be a lot faster. I just havent been motivated since this one is so fast and disposable!

Egoracing
08-07-2011, 09:45 PM

Agree or not about other things, You OK? Hope so, no matter what I do not like to see racers get hurt and tear up stuff, there is no such thing as cheap parts any more. Hope all is OK!

stock car driver
08-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Yep no injuries. A tiny bruise on the inside of my left foot.

The reason I cant buy a car and run it is because I care about safety.

Ive cut the door bars out of this car on both sides and widened them etc. I have leg supports from my seat to pedals like a cup car so my feet cant move and get speed before hitting stuff. full containment seat, carbon fiber helmet, auto matic fire system etc.

Egoracing
08-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Yep no injuries. A tiny bruise on the inside of my left foot.

The reason I cant buy a car and run it is because I care about safety.

Ive cut the door bars out of this car on both sides and widened them etc. I have leg supports from my seat to pedals like a cup car so my feet cant move and get speed before hitting stuff. full containment seat, carbon fiber helmet, auto matic fire system etc.

Glad to hear it! I am the same as 2 cars I have gotten 1 I ended up junking (got in trade) and one I would have had less time in it if I just built it. I just also refered someone on another thread that was asking about buying a cage kit to have it put in by someone that KNOWS what they are doing and how to weld it in, This is NOT an area that you want to save a few $$ and try to do it yourself! Again VERY glad to hear that you are OK!

50j
08-08-2011, 07:14 AM
True. You can't go back and do it right after you're seriously hurt.