PDA

View Full Version : Garnes Skyline Results June 17, 2011

Unclebig
06-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Garnes, Stinson, Johnson, Adkins Ace Skyline Mains
Mayle 3-for-3 in Mini-Wedges
Skyline Speedway Results FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE June 17, 2011
By Scott Wolfe

STEWART, OHIO-A nearly full moon cast a bright spot in victory lane for Evans, WV Driver Chris Garnes who won his second consecutive AMRA Late Model main at Billy Jarrell's Skyline Speedway Friday night. In the companion 410 Ohio Valley Sprint Car Association headliner, defending champion Jimmy Stinson, Vandalia, OH aboard the B & J Welding and Contracting Maxim pulled off the win, Kenny Johnson aced the AMRA Modified main, and Dennis Adkins claimed the Four-Cylinder spotlight. Ninety-two cars were entered in the event.
In the 25-lap AMRA Late Model main Chris Garnes, Evans, WV took the lead from Jackson's Jason Montgomery on the 4th lap and never looked back, half-tracking the field in his Swartz Extreme/Cornett Engines/ Tri-County Builders #42. Garnes lapped all but the first seven cars in one of the most impressive runs of the year.
For the first seven laps Montgomery stayed close, but Garnes gradually pulled off to a huge lead. Montgomery safely anchored down second, but Rod Conley and Chris Carpenter fought the entire race for third. In the end Carpenter nailed down a close third over Conley.
Jeff Wood, Athens, in his first start of the season had a good run into the top five while brothers Andy and Larry Bond traded punches for 6th and 7th as the only cars remaining on the lead lap.
Behind Garnes in the top ten were Montgomery, Chris Carpenter, Rod Conley, Jeff Wood, Andy Bond, Larry Bond, KC Burdette, Colten Burdette, and Jeff Burdette.
Said Garnes in victory lane, "I knew I had to stay down low around the tires and the car really hooked up there. Also, getting through lapped traffic was tough and fortunately I was able to hit my spots and make it through."
Making the run even more impressive was that a bloody-handed Garnes narrowly eluded disaster when one of the safety cables on his trailer snapped loose and cut both hands. "I literally had to hold on for this one," smiled Garnes.
Skyline made a special presentation to Steve McVey in memory of Steve's father, presenting a die-cast car from Wetzel's Collectibles and also signed by all the drivers. Paul Pappy McVey spent most of his life around racing, and up until last year was active in the C & S Racing Photo stand. McVey also owned race cars for many, many years. The McVey family expressed its gratitude to all fans, drivers, and track crew.
K-C Burdette was the hard-charger in a 17th to 8th place run.
On the first lap of the OVSCA sprint car main, Kory Crabtree looped it in front of the field, collecting Jamie Myers and Mark Imler who got airborne and did a slow roll over. All three cars were eliminated, but all three drivers were o.k.
Once the race resumed, pole sitter Jimmy Stinson and Jimmy Nier dueled for the top spot, but once Stinson pulled off the crossover to the high-side, it was all Stinson. Setting fast time and taking the heat win, Stinson made it a clean sweep for the night. The high-flyer lapped all but the top four cars in a spectacular rim-riding run.
Nier anchored second, while Brian Benson and Josh Davis hammered it out hard for third. Benson held third to the 14th circuit with Davis on his rear nerf every inch of the way. Finally, Davis made the pass for position, while Wayne McPeek, Aaron Higgins, and Dave (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)son rattled the bird-cages for a top five. Benson lost some ground in a near spin, allowing (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)son to make the pass late in the race, while Higgins rounded-out fourth.
Said Stinson, "I just show up. All the credit goes to Billy Jarrell and (mechanic) Gary Hall. Man, Gary had this thing hooked up tonight. He really had it going."
Stinson, as did all feature winners, received a tee-shirt and gift pack from the Dayton Auto Racing Fan (DARF) club and Hootie Gibson. Earlier on the trip down the road Stinson had called Gibson and jokingly said, "Have my Tee-shirt ready tonight."
Rounding out the top ten were Jimmy Stinson, Jimmy Nier, Josh Davis, Aaron Higgins, Dave (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)son, Brian Benson, Greg Mitchell, Wayne McPeek--the West Virginia Warrior; Sam Ashworth, and Eddie Slone. Sam Ashworth was the race hard charger in a 14th to 9th place run. Greg Mitchell was a notable in a strong 11th to 7th place jaunt. Reportedly, Higgins ( who rambled from 12th to 4th) was a DNQ for not crossing the scales; never-the-less making a strong run in the race.
The AMRA Modified race was one of the best of the night. Pole-sitter Andy Bond held off Kenny Johnson for the first three markers, but Johnson made the pass on the next circuit. The battle continued in reverse order with Bond dogging Johnson in the high-speed roulette.
Robert Booger Garnes was on a rail as he dueled Jess Hartman tooth-and-nail for fourth behind a solid effort from Vince Conrad in third. Jason Brooks quickly made it a three way race for fourth in a good drive up through the pack.
Garnes rid himself of Hartman as Conrad pressed Bond. The last seven laps of the race saw that trio duke it out with multiple position changes, and at least three laps where Conrad found himself in a Bond-Conrad-Garnes, three-wide sandwich. Mike McPherson moved into the mix only to leave with motor ailments, as did AMRA point leader Doug Henry.
Johnson's Shaw Chassis 1-J zoomed on to the win. He said, "This one is for Pappy (McVey)."
In a more jovial mood Johnson grinned as he said, "The key tonight was go fast, turn left, and don't screw up! Sometimes I'm pretty good with the last one, but tonight I was pretty good at the first two."
The top ten were Kenny Johnson, Vince Conrad, Robert Garnes, Andy Bond, Jason Brooks, Jess Hartman, Robbie Evans, Rick Venham, Jr., Frankie Roush, and Jeremy Jarvis. The race hard charger was Frankie Roush in a 18th to 9th place run.
As rains threatened, the Four Cylinder main got underway with Dennis Adkins getting the jump on Tommy Adkins. The initial spurt Dennis had at the drop of the green was just enough to keep him on the point as he waltzed to the win with cousin Tommy right at his side most of the way. They came across the line in this order: Dennis Adkins, Tom Adkins, Chris Lauer, Jeff Rankin, Ken Young, George Klintworth, Barry Kitts, and Tony Plaugher.
Cole Mayle picked up his third straight win in the Mike's Auto Body's Mini-Wedges. The finish--Cole Mayle, Coleman Evans, Tyler Evans, Hunter Teters, Corey DeLancey, Coleton Perine, Cameron Roush, Martin Gibson, Jr., Zack Carr, and Kasey Rankin
Coming next Friday, June 24 is the race of all modified races, and one of the fastest growing namesakes in the USA--The 3rd Annual Greg Schilling Memorial for AMRA Modifieds. The payoff is still the same with 19 cars starting according to one of the organizers: Payoff 1-$1699, 2-$1599, 3-$1499, 4-$1399, 5-$1299, 6-$1199, 7-$1099, 8-$999, 9-$899, 10-$799, 11-$699, 12-$599, 13-$499, 14-$399, 15-$299, 16-$199, 17-$199, 18-$199 & 19-$199. (Separate Schilling Release to come) I-77 Raceway Park will host the Road Warrior Challenge the following night June 25 in Fairplain, WV.

Silverado
06-18-2011, 08:45 AM
I think it's about time Audie put the picture of the 42 on swartzracecars.com! Good job Chris! This car sure has surprised me. I'm still looking for a Swartz license plate for my truck.lol! Glad they the the races in.