PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Oil

1Blacksheep
06-19-2011, 09:37 AM
What are some home grown efforts to clean dirt out of oil without spending a fortune on a machine? I leave it set and settle but dont always have patience and time for that. I know some old timers surely have some techniques. Thanks

1Blacksheep
06-19-2011, 01:02 PM
How small of Micron filter would be too small that it would start filtering important things out of the oil ? :confused:

zeroracing
06-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Why are you getting dirt in the oil to begin with? We have ran many races on all track conditions and never have this problem. Good clean breathers and air filter along with air filter gasket and outerwear should seal it up good.

LM14
06-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Contact Smyz and talk to him. It's not just about particle matter, it's also about some chemicals breaking down and repleneshing those chemicals.

http://www.smyser-racing.com/Index_2.html

Here's the company he works with.

http://fluidfiltrationsystems.com/

Know that's not exactly what you are asking but there is some good info here. I prefer to dump and replace.

SPark

1Blacksheep
06-27-2011, 04:51 PM
OK thanks for replies, As for how its getting in is a mystery so far. It is not coming thru the carb, that I am pretty sure of.Breather lid and base is oiled every night and only has contaminants on it when K&N filter is used.Sealing surfaces are greased. And for breaking down as long as it is not burnt up from over heating I hate to throw out 10 Qts of $12 oil every 2 nights. What I am seeing is very fine and dark with no abrasive feel to it.Just skims the bottom of the pan in 2 nights. Carbon maybe? Or dirt thru the K&N valve cover breathers,Im tossing them next. Seal those up too tight and the pan gasket will leak. Done that. :confused: Meanwhile the oil bill is heavy till I figure it out.

BigBlueFord
06-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Get rid of the K&N filters. Go to paper filters and change at regular intervals.

cassellracing24
07-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Are you sure it's dirt in your oil pan? All of my Brad Penn engines always have a thin layer of "sludge" in the bottom of the pan at season end. I've attributed it to changing the oil cold throughout the season - everything inside the engine is pristine, no leak down issues - just a pain to clean up when the pan is pulled. For reference I cut and replace the filter after every 2nd race, and then after the 6th race change the oil.

You are right on target with 6 night's on oil (assuming engine tune\cooling system is correct), but it was not suggested by B.Penn Engineer that Filter needs changed every other night. Assuming you are using a high quality Oil filter, change with oil..... Of course Penn will not recommend a filter timeline as they are not in that market, but when Engineer was "Track" testing for oil longevity a Wix Racing 51061R was in use.