PDA

View Full Version : Nylon Fan?

JB1K
06-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Anyone have experience running a nylon fan (ex Allstar: All30094)? I just wrote them off as cheap junk in the past, but need to get some weight off the front end. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-20-2011, 01:47 PM
I would reduce my radiator size before I put a junk fan on. Are you running a double pass?

hpmaster
06-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I moved my double pass radiator back 4" and up 3" threw away the shroud and all the air box tin in front of the radiator as the fan is now 1" from the radiator with a 3" fan spacer and went to a Allstar 19" "junk" nylon fan. With no openings in the nose for air the hottest it has gotten was 210 degrees 2 weeks ago when it was 90 degrees outside during a 25 laper. Friday night it was 65 degrees and the engine temp at the end of 25 lap feature was 195. The engine is a 415 14.4CR gas motor with no thermostat. I was told to try one by another LM team. Call it what you want it moves a bunch of air and that is the coolest this car/motor ever ran.

rubbinsracin
06-20-2011, 03:23 PM
we run the all-star fan too. we have a double pass by afco w/ shroud. we run a 32# cap. our nose has no opening and is down way low. we ran on a night where it was about 95* a couple weeks ago and after our 25 lapper it was only 210*. on the average night we come off at about 190-200. the guy that parks next to us has the same setup as us except he has a crate that he was sponsored so he really babies it and pulls off when it gets to 210 and likes it to run at 180-200 so he took a hole saw and put 4 holes in the front with some screen behind it and now runs 180-190 every night.

under the nose we only have about 3 lbs of rolled plastic to make air move through the radiator. we liked rolled plastic better under there than aluminum because its easier to form and work with. and in the even we do damage the nose some, the plastic pops right back into shape.

only thing to watch out for is after a 3/4 of a year the fan can get really flexible so you need to keep an eye on it after about 35 races or so. after it gets that flexible you start to loose cooling potential and you will need to replace it. but we did notice after we got ride of the metal fan we did see our belts lasting longer.

jr18
06-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Has eany body ever tried a Elec. fan. if you run a alterator.

I am look for some more cooling my myself. My motor gets about 240 and the end of 30 laps.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Has eany body ever tried a Elec. fan. if you run a alterator.

I am look for some more cooling my myself. My motor gets about 240 and the end of 30 laps.

I have ran electric fans on alky fueled late models with success. I would get the engine cooler before I even considered trying that.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-20-2011, 04:02 PM
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Lightweight-Single-Row-Radiator-1-Inch-Core,23491.html

I have used this on 406 cubic inch iron block/aluminum head engine. The radiator and water saved 20# over a standard singe pass unit.

JB1K
06-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Was that on alky?

I have a double pass Howe radiator in there now. Never gets over 200°. Just thougth the fan would be easy to try. I only run 10-12 nights / year, and would probably replace it every year.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Lightweight-Single-Row-Radiator-1-Inch-Core,23491.html

I have used this on 406 cubic inch iron block/aluminum head engine. The radiator and water saved 20# over a standard singe pass unit.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Was that on alky?

I have a double pass Howe radiator in there now. Never gets over 200°. Just thougth the fan would be easy to try. I only run 10-12 nights / year, and would probably replace it every year.

Tried it first with alky. Couldn't get above 160 degrees without thermostat. Then used it on gas and was still never getting over 190. I had a good shroud, good 4 blade fan, and had the area in front of the rad boxed in with sheet plastic.