PDA

View Full Version : Rocket setup help

XTREE
06-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Car is good in hot laps & heat. In main good for first 10 to 15 laps then car starts getting tight as track dries out. Not turning on or off throtle. Have to wait on car before getting back to gas. Lf-500 rf-400 lr-250 rr-225 55%left 54.5%rear 52.75%cross. 180bite track is 1/2 mile banked momentum turns.

Egoracing
06-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Got to get the RF working and loose some of the bite.

rubbinsracin
06-21-2011, 09:17 AM
We fought this problem at the beginning of the year. Left Side % is to high at 55%. and as the track slickens off i would go to a little softer RF spring. maybe like a 350-375. both of those things will help the car turn through.

how much LR bite are you running?

XTREE
06-21-2011, 05:40 PM
we fought this problem at the beginning of the year. Left side % is to high at 55%. And as the track slickens off i would go to a little softer rf spring. Maybe like a 350-375. Both of those things will help the car turn through.

How much lr bite are you running?

180 bite. What is a left % to start

mqdirtracer57
06-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I would try getting rid of some of that bite and go from there. I start with 70-80 pounds of bite in a crate car

rubbinsracin
06-23-2011, 11:24 AM
opps my bad on not seeing the bit # on your OP. Id get your bite down to around 80lbs. by doing this you should see your LS% come down closer to around 54%. our car seems to work best between 53-54%

Matt49
06-24-2011, 10:19 AM
opps my bad on not seeing the bit # on your OP. Id get your bite down to around 80lbs. by doing this you should see your LS% come down closer to around 54%. our car seems to work best between 53-54%

I completely agree with you and others saying he has too much bite. But changing bite with the coil-over nut isn't going to do anything to the left side percentage.

XTREE
06-24-2011, 09:38 PM
i would try getting rid of some of that bite and go from there. I start with 70-80 pounds of bite in a crate car

thanks alot will try taking the bite out with left % down. Then go from there.

car23
06-24-2011, 09:53 PM
move your lead to the right side of car high on frame, run the least amont of fuel you can for a race. if your battery is on the left maybe think about putting it in the center of car. may want to move fuel cell to the right. free your car up. go to the track with 45lbs of bite and work your 4 link bars for the right amount of drive. lengthen right side bars for steer at least a 1/4 inch. panhard to center of drive shaft on pinion. put a round of bite in if track starts to black over. put 225 on rr 200 lr 350 rf 500 lf keep your 400rf ready in case u bottom out your shock check your travel 300lb 5th coil spring

XTREE
06-27-2011, 01:00 PM
The 400 is bottomed out tried what a friend said to try?? 500 lf 400rf 225lr 200rr 54left 53.5rear 80lbs bite pushed while track in hot / heat laps, still a push on entry in race not much drive center off. Track was starting to blacken in middle of race. THE CAR WAS MUCH FASTER WITH MY OTHER SETUP BUT DID FADE HALFWAY THROUGH RACE 500LF 400RF 250LR 225RR 55%LEFT 54.4%REAR 180 BITE. WILL DROPPING BITE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM & LEFT SIDE %. THANX FOR ALL ADVICE.

rubbinsracin
06-27-2011, 03:16 PM
im not saying this will fix the problem, but this is what we did with our chassis (04 Shaw) to correct the same problem you are having

we moved our cell to the right 4 inches(centered it over the pumpkin) and dropped our wedge to 80lbs(from 180).

here is the method we use to move wedge....principals for this came right out of our "DLM Chassis Tech" book by Steve Smith....we took 4 rounds out of our LR shock 2 out of our RF, 4 in RR, 2 in LF this moved 100lbs of wedge from our car and also, because we moved the weight from the LR to the RR it dropped our LS% to about 52.5 without me in the car. with me in the car it goes to 54%. this maintained our ride heights while just moving "weight" from one corner to another without changing ballast or anything. all you need to remember is whatever you do to the LR do the half of the same thing (in or out) to the opposite corner, the RF. so if you move the RR move the LF. We have found that this keeps our ride heights almost exactly where they should be while adjust wheel weights and wedge. keep in mind this same adjustment might more move or less weight than it did on our chassis. but we have found it moves almost exactly 50 lbs for ever 2 rounds in rear and 1 in front.

Graff Spee
06-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Do you run a spec tire? If you do it probably a hard one. You need to open up the front toe setting to an inch to as much as an inch and a half. Whats happening is the rear tires are getting up to temp and starting to grip and the front tires are not there. Thats why you get the push. It will get worse the longer the race goes on. When you open up the toe that much you are creating drag witch in turn creates heat in the front tires. You will be good to go!!!

78malibu
06-30-2011, 06:49 PM
if its a crate car 5/8 toe is about max for us. one night we got hit in the race the steering felt really bad like i could wreck at any second. it was toed out 1 1/2. not saying it wouldnt work with a different tire or rack, but with goodyears on our 05 black front end it did not.

Graff Spee
06-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Its a trick I learned with spec tires long ago. Every one changes everything so that the car could come in at the end. Never really works that way. The toe adjustment works. Why you had trouble? I dont know. Sounds like you had some damage. You should try it. Think about it for a while. Good luck!

Jim11h
07-04-2011, 11:06 AM
a crate car has only so much horsepower so why would you want to "drag" a tire and scrub off more speed? i cant help but think a car that turns thru corner on all 4's like a kart would be way faster. if the rearend is steering the car which rocket is known for then make it steer the car down the straightaway. take 4-6 turns out of both RR bars (shorten them) while leaving all else alone

Graff Spee
07-10-2011, 01:32 AM
a crate car has only so much horsepower so why would you want to "drag" a tire and scrub off more speed? i cant help but think a car that turns thru corner on all 4's like a kart would be way faster. if the rearend is steering the car which rocket is known for then make it steer the car down the straightaway. take 4-6 turns out of both RR bars (shorten them) while leaving all else alone

I agree with your thought process. The problem is that this fix works. It is not a detriment at any point in the race. The car that is the most consistent is the one that has the most chance of winning. Try it! Then come back here and yell at me! I bet you don't come back! I bet you don't even tell anyone about your new secret! I bet you WIN!!!!! What ever you do, remember, its all in fun. Good Luck!!