PDA

View Full Version : Stumped, need help with this one...

Dirtman29
06-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Went to push my SS out of garage after installing new driveshaft (same yoke), went about 3 ft. tops & wheels locked up. Jacked up the rear & wheels would not go past a certain point in forward or reverse. Removed driveshaft, rear wheels spin fine but the 3 spd. (in neutral) locked up when I put driveshaft in & spun it by hand. Removed trans, put shaft in again (both times approx 1.25" of yoke exposed) and trans spins free now when sitting on garage floor. Same trans, bellhousing, # of shims (3), and hyd. TOB used together last yr, I have a different engine & now using a triple disc clutch w/ flexplate (had OEM clutch last yr.). What could be causing this or where should I start looking for problems? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

26-62 racing
06-21-2011, 11:00 PM
If the clutch, fly wheel, and engine block were different you might look at that area again. Just some ideas, recheck center of crank to bell housing. May have to use offset bell housing dowel pin for proper alignment bell housing to block. With the increased thickness of the tripple disk clutch on the input shaft of the transmission. The input shaft may be in a bind with the pilot bearing. Is the pilot bearing bushing or roller bearing? Check clutch plates alignment with input shaft to center line of pilot bearing. If everything worked great last year check the changes you made with the new parts. Maybe something simple you overlooked happens to all of us.

Mike

Dirtman29
06-22-2011, 12:22 AM
I think I found it & its one of the things you mentioned, removed trans, looked into bell & discs were way out of alignment, the disc alignment tool went in but it moved around alot. Realigned discs (had to eyeball it to center it) & went down to 2 shims, put it all back together & now it seems to work fine, got tired of spinning the wheels! Thanks for the ideas.

gadirtracer
06-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Went to push my SS out of garage after installing new driveshaft (same yoke), went about 3 ft. tops & wheels locked up. Jacked up the rear & wheels would not go past a certain point in forward or reverse. Removed driveshaft, rear wheels spin fine but the 3 spd. (in neutral) locked up when I put driveshaft in & spun it by hand. Removed trans, put shaft in again (both times approx 1.25" of yoke exposed) and trans spins free now when sitting on garage floor. Same trans, bellhousing, # of shims (3), and hyd. TOB used together last yr, I have a different engine & now using a triple disc clutch w/ flexplate (had OEM clutch last yr.). What could be causing this or where should I start looking for problems? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Triple disk clutch takes a different release bearing than a stock type clutch.

Dirtman29
06-26-2011, 10:35 AM
It has a hyd. TOB. Hope it works when I get ready to fire it up!