PDA

View Full Version : Can you build a mustang chassis too stiff

CnDRacing
06-26-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if I built my 84 mustang too stiff. I stitched welded all the body seams, installed 2x2 between the front and rear subframes and a typical dirt racing cage. This car does not work as well as my first car with no stich welded seams or 2x2 sub frames connectors.

PitManArm
06-26-2011, 10:46 PM
It isn't possible to build a race chassis too stiff, as long as there are crumple zones built in to help absorb impact from collisions or rollover.

What you are experiencing is an 'implementation dip'. You made, what you believed would be, an improvement to your racing program. It hasn't come to fruition yet because the adjustments haven't worked so far.

Are you trying to use your set up from your old car? that will have to be tweaked to accomodate the added stiffness. Maybe softer springs will be needed to make up for the fact that the chassis isn't flexing as much and taking up spring rate.

I rolled my car two weeks ago and a fellow racer was kind enough to lend me his backup car till I get mine repaired. His car is alot stiffer than mine and the setup is totally different. One example, I need rear stagger to turn my car, and this car needs front stagger to add wedge. Both cars have won several championships, but set ups are way different.

Just keep working away at the setup. With a stiffer chassis, the car will be more predictable and results from set up changes should be easier to duplicate. Good luck.

Double W Racin'
07-29-2011, 06:14 PM
I'll apologise in advance for my Newbieness...

Is there a way to put in Sub Frame connectors on the inside and tie them into the cage?

Headhunter
08-01-2011, 09:09 AM
A stiffer chassis will be faster but takes more to set up. The softer the chassis the more forgiving it is with set up.

You can notch the top of the rocker panels and make conectors from 2X3 down the center and tie that in. Easy way is to connect them underneath.