PDA

View Full Version : Car Pushing,need help

mignum
06-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I've got a 97' warrior z-link and it is pushing when i get on the gas in the corner has really good forward drive.the track was wet this weekend and last week too.total wgt. is 2423 ,22gal gas,left 54.8%,cross 50.3%,rear 54.3%,LF-607lb,RF-499LB,LR-721LB,RR-596LB,bite is 125LB my tire pressures are LF-8,RF-12,LR-6,RR-12 and stagger is 1" at the front and 4" at the rear.springs are 450LF,350RF,pair of 200's in the back,300LB lift bar spring loaded four turns.
any suggestions would be appreciated,by the way we won with the old car,its a rocket down the straights but having trouble turning it.

gadirtracer
06-28-2011, 10:56 PM
350 on the RF sounds soft on that vintage, shock bottoming out, sheering the RF, causing the push?
Does car rotate on its own on entry?
Z-link on LR too?

Graff Spee
06-29-2011, 12:25 AM
You could just be getting on the gas a bit too soon. Remember it doesnt have the roll steer that a 4 bar will have. Try getting in the gas when you are pointing at the spot you want to go to. If you like you could just pull a bit of bite out it. The less left rear bite you run the less scrub you will have in the car when it rotates. I have found that when you run a car a tad on the loose side. The driver is forced to be extra smooth and aware of the car and bite avaliable. The cars are usually faster. Just my take on it. Good luck!

joedoozer
06-29-2011, 09:00 AM
I was going to say try---Loosening entry (so the car is pointed better at the apex), maybe a little less rear percentage. Maybe the rear tires are just stuck too much. Maybe drive in a little further. When you back the corner up too much and get in the gas sooner (before the apex) the car could push.

Just a few ideas to toss around. Somethings to think about.

grt74
06-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Stagger,stagger,stagger,jmo

mignum
06-30-2011, 09:03 PM
thanks for the advise i will check the things you said to look for and i am a new driver so like you said i might not be driving it in the corner deep enough,i am hitting the brake hard just as i start to turn the wheel down into the corner i am not sure if thats right havent really got to talk to a driver about it but i know its probably more of a seat time issue,but i just checked my rear end and the left rear is leading by a 1/4",i think the right rear is supposed to be back a 1/4" or so right?

joedoozer
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
thanks for the advise i will check the things you said to look for and i am a new driver so like you said i might not be driving it in the corner deep enough,i am hitting the brake hard just as i start to turn the wheel down into the corner i am not sure if thats right havent really got to talk to a driver about it but i know its probably more of a seat time issue,but i just checked my rear end and the left rear is leading by a 1/4",i think the right rear is supposed to be back a 1/4" or so right?

Using the brake to turn the car can be a bad habit to get into. I am not saying its wrong, and on some tracks that's the fast way around. I would not want to do that on a track with long sweeping corners, but a stop and go (paperclip) type track I can see it working.

I am a first year driver as well, and on a tight budget. I don't have the money to go out and buy the best of everything right now. Try and figure out what your car isn't doing, and go after that first. In my case it was a new RF shock. I would say invest in a set of scales if you can afford it. Read alot, and understand what the adjustments do. And keep a good notebook.

Here is a link to some free software that will help keep your notes organized.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/setuptracker/
And here is the thread about it.
http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?212276-Suspension-Setup-Tracking-Software

The newest version you can print out your set ups.

dualdj1
07-01-2011, 02:32 PM
A veteran driver once told me, to get your car working right, go out on your practice laps and make a couple laps. First one at 1/4 throttle, second at half throttle. If you can drive smoothly around then your car is in good shape. IE you shouldn't have to stomp the brakes to make it turn, at least in your baseline setup.

Especially as a beginning driver, you want to be able to have the car turn in easy, and just worry about tightening exit if you need to. Smooth and consistent wins races.

And thanks Joe for the plug on the software. Updates coming in the next week or so hopefully :cool:

joedoozer
07-02-2011, 05:36 PM
A veteran driver once told me, to get your car working right, go out on your practice laps and make a couple laps. First one at 1/4 throttle, second at half throttle. If you can drive smoothly around then your car is in good shape. IE you shouldn't have to stomp the brakes to make it turn, at least in your baseline setup.

Especially as a beginning driver, you want to be able to have the car turn in easy, and just worry about tightening exit if you need to. Smooth and consistent wins races.

And thanks Joe for the plug on the software. Updates coming in the next week or so hopefully :cool:

No need to thank me. It's good stuff and it makes things easier. I am happy that there is something like that for free. Thanks offering it.

mignum
07-03-2011, 12:43 AM
350 on the RF sounds soft on that vintage, shock bottoming out, sheering the RF, causing the push?
Does car rotate on its own on entry?
Z-link on LR too?

checked out my travel indicator and sure enough the shock was bottoming out so i took some weight off the right front,and moved the j-bar up two holes on pinion and it was the best the car has ever felt,used a little more stagger too.and its a Z-link on both sides with no four bar brackets,car is still not rotating on its own i have to hit the brakes to make it turn,but not as hard as i have been having to hit them,i am a new driver so i know a lot of it is me.i noticed that if i let the car roll a little farther in to the corner before i hit the brake it helped the car alot,thanks for every ones input it has really helped me any more suggestions would be appreciated.By the way this is a very short and tight cornered track,its tacky in the heats but by the feature its usually dry slick,they say a 1/4 mile but i seriously doubt it .

dualdj1
07-05-2011, 09:19 AM
try going down to a 400LF, or up to 400RF. Both will loosen you on entry, but the stiffer RF can tighten your exit as well.

you can also try adding some rear steer, but I'm not sure the exact bar changes you'd need for that.

mignum
07-05-2011, 09:17 PM
try going down to a 400LF, or up to 400RF. Both will loosen you on entry, but the stiffer RF can tighten your exit as well.

you can also try adding some rear steer, but I'm not sure the exact bar changes you'd need for that.

I will try that thanks for your advise the car could use to be a little tighter on exit the track gets slick