PDA

View Full Version : chassis

shaw33
06-29-2011, 11:05 PM
i know you can make all of them work in time but i want to know what chassis yall would get to start racing crates and why? more flex less flex lighter heavier. lets hear whats the best

Graff Spee
06-30-2011, 12:45 AM
The most readily avaible one! LOL, Really though a chassis is just a bunch of tubes welded together to hold your suspention in place. If you want a more ridgid chassis then put some tubes in it. Do the oppisite to get it to flex. I wouldnt get to hung up on it. Most chassis builders are doing the same things. They are just doing them a bit differant than the next guy so you have to buy your parts from them. They could never make money on just a chsssis. Its all about the parts sales!!! A chassis doesnt know what brand it is. A chassis doesnt even know thats its bent. If your mounts are in the proper place you are ready to go. It has to be safe of course. I think you can see what I am saying though.

rubbinsracin
06-30-2011, 10:47 AM
our track usually averages about 18-20 for a weekly show. they are spread out pretty equally. more rockets than anything, but there are Shaws, GRT, Masters, Lazer, an American made maybe even some others. there are a number of guys that could win any given night.

we chose a Shaw because of the different cars we looked at, it was the one that had the least use on it, and had the most good parts on it already. we chose an underslung chassis because it was what we had in the past(started with an 97 masters). we went with a 2" square chassis because we figured it would be the be the least susceptible type to experience flexing over the life of the car.

car23
06-30-2011, 04:48 PM
We have a GRT TWISTER copy(walter newman) that really flexes alot and it took a while to overcome all that flex but it works pretty good. I would look for an older barry wright 96 - 98 these cars work good, they are currently building the new cars just like them. Go figure. But a standard grt 99 and up is a good base car also.

Graff Spee
06-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Shaw is I think the best built chassis out there. If you get a chance to see them build one you should. The jigs they use are much better than most other builders. Think of it this way. You can order an intierer from Shaw and it will fit. That is the only car you can do that with as far as I know. Rayburns are all over the place as are Rockets. I just happen to own one of each of those and love them by the way. I am not a Shaw fan but I do think they are the best built. I had an old Barry wright round tube inch and a half car that I loved. I borrowed jigs from Barry before. When I hit this car. This was back when he was hooked up with Bloomer.

car23
06-30-2011, 09:11 PM
won alot of races in our old 2in chrome moly barry wright and we have decided to get it back in the shop from grazing and redo it. we never moved the right frame rail so we are going to do that and take it to get it checked on the jig and turn it loose again