PDA

View Full Version : DLM on Asphalt set up

sj valley dave
06-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi all. Just got off the phone with Joe Garrison at GRT. We are putting our SDLM on a 1/3 mile asphalt track July 16th. He suggested that we square the front springs at 400 lbs, square the rear at 250 lbs, go to a 400 lb 5th spring, flatten the J Bar, leave the upper bars alone, but move the LRL bar up to 4th or 5th hole for more rear steer....I think I remember reading in Circle Track when they messed with putting a DLM on pavement they taliked about getting the rear steer out of it....I know there has beed discussion on here in the past but could some one who has done this chime in please? Thanks

rubbinsracin
06-30-2011, 03:00 PM
i was alwasys under the assumption that rear steer was bad on pavement too. i also remember the article on Circle Track that you are refering too......but for some reason their website only has how it went at the track, not what went into getting it setup. i would assume you want to have the lowest center of gravity possible. probably very little stagger too...to protect the rear end...maybe run the same size on back and control stagger with pressures. also, you will probably want your LS % closer to 58% by leveling out the Jbar you probably will eliminate roll from L to R of the body therefore almost eliminating the ability of the car to get up on the bars and create any roll steer?? just a guess

what kind of tires are you going to run? gonna need to be a hard compound if you have to run dirt tires.

sj valley dave
06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
We have to run our D-55's..We can get the left side up to 57-58* and move it where we only have 50-51* rear...The pavement sprint cars run about 6" of stagger at this track, so I think we will run our standard 88-92" rear combo...My big question was the rear steer. We run LR shock behind only....Thought we would take drive and rear steer out of it....I like the idea of a flat J Bar to keep the car flat through the corners...

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Sprint Cup cars have a limit on how much static steer you are allowed to run. I don't think having some would be a bad thing. Their cars dog track quite a bit even with the limits imposed.

I have seen this done a couple times. Fast cars had their bars in neutral positions and at least some still had their lr spring behind. I think I would put it in front.

SS Motorsports
06-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Having done this with success, Joe is pretty much right on, the only difference we used a pair of 450's on the front. LS as close to 58%, cross 50-52% rear50%, bite around 300lbs.

rubbinsracin
06-30-2011, 03:52 PM
also, maybe run your LR in front of the axel with a dummy behind. that will take slow that drive down and keep from roasting the poor D55s lol.

Graff Spee
06-30-2011, 07:09 PM
It seems that the flatter the track, the less rear you run the faster you get. 48 or 49 works real well. I would get all of the roll steer out of it. If you could grind the tires down to 5/32nds that would be a big help. May want to get shocks set up for extreme hold down for left side. Use tire temps to get cross weight and air pressure correct. Tighten up your toe. Run long j bar mounted on frame on rt side. Have it be one inch up on frame side. lower all weight. Reduce overall caster. The most important thing is to completely bleed brakes of all old fluid. Run brake ducts if you can. check roll center to see that it is centered in chassis, modify if you can to get this. Swap out 7.5 spindles for 12 degree ones. If you just cant get it to turn, make sure you have a few big springs with so you can throw it in the rt. rear to get it to rotate. Trail brake it and watch those tire temps!!! good luck!

gadirtracer
07-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Lots of left
Lots of bite
Spring/shock ahead of LR
Do what ever you can to keep the tires cool. We used to run on an "oil-based" dirt track, D-55's would blister and chunk apart if you slid the car at all. A D70 or 2700 on the RR was the norm. Even w/a D70, the inside of the tire would blister occasionally. Set up for it was be very similar to asphalt.
Good luck, most dirt cars on asphalt don't put on much of a show, better qualify up front.

Egoracing
07-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Sprint Cup cars have a limit on how much static steer you are allowed to run. I don't think having some would be a bad thing. Their cars dog track quite a bit even with the limits imposed.

I have seen this done a couple times. Fast cars had their bars in neutral positions and at least some still had their lr spring behind. I think I would put it in front.

When we ran the UDLMCS race the first year and did the asphlat race the fastest cars were running REALLY REALLY close to their dirt setups. The only large change was the shock valving.

sj valley dave
07-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will set it up to run flat with some static rear steer but not much roll rear steer and get it way down on the rear %, etc...If anyone thinks of anything els, feel free to add to the thread...LOL

Graff Spee
07-01-2011, 07:49 PM
When we ran the UDLMCS race the first year and did the asphlat race the fastest cars were running REALLY REALLY close to their dirt setups. The only large change was the shock valving.

where they locking down the shocks? We run a ASA latemodel that we lock all shocks down on. we run it just off the snubber. Shocks die every couple of races though. Fast as Heck!!!