PDA

View Full Version : rear end install help

keeter57
07-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Recently we got our rear end housing removed for us at the track I now have a new one but need help in re installing it back where it needs to be.I have to weld on all the trailing arm mounts and dont know how to go about this to where the rearend is back in the car properly.I have installed it but it has to much rear steer(1.75 in.) and it doesnt handle well at all.I am gonna take it all out and start again but dont know what to do.This is a 76 monte shortend to 110 " wheelbase with a 9" ford rear,I have new speedway trailing arms and all new bushings.

stock car driver
07-03-2011, 06:02 PM
I would find someone with a jig in your area.

Ive got one for that car but not sure where your located?

keeter57
07-03-2011, 09:10 PM
I am in western ky where are you?

stock car driver
07-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Iowa

It usually runs about 80 to Ups a floater housing..

Moldymulldoon
07-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Bolt up a pair of empty wheels on axle. BOTH with same back spacing, mount the lowers on chassis. Make sure they are the correct length and of BOTH equal length.
Measure the spring length from upper mount to axle. ride height spring length. Get the pinion angle you want, tack the lower brackets on.
MAKE sure axle is square in chassis
wheels will help center the axle.
tack lowers at ride height and approximate pinion angle
same deal with uppers some like the top trailing arms at either level or UP hill from axle to chassis. Rotate axle to find the pinion angle you want. add driveshaft angle and pinion angle to get total pinion angle. Sometimes less is more. MORE angle causes a bind. 4 bar stock set ups dont need a large pinion angle. I am not going to start a pission match with angle. YOU do what you feel is correct with your car.
TACK uppers. PUT jack in middle and move axle up and down to make sure nothing is binding. If all looks good no binding finish welding brackets.... DONT get tube too hot... it will and can warp axle tube.
Yes this a Redneck way of doing it. IF it works who cares...
Good luck hope this helps you.