PDA

View Full Version : Bar location, inside or outside?

C10
07-04-2011, 11:53 PM
2000 Rocket, black front with short bracket LRB. Have been told that moving the right side bars to the outside of the birdcage is a good thing and will tighten the car on entry (where we are having an issue with). Rocket says Inside only, but the rockets that are kickin our butt all are now running on the outside.
SO, what is better, and what will it do to the car by moving them outside? Thanks !

vms
07-05-2011, 08:53 AM
good question mine out on the inside, what about the left side are the suppose to be on outside

C10
07-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Rocket says right and left both on inside, this is why I am wondering why people are doing it. I am going to move ours and rescale for this weekend and will tell you my findings on it I guess and go from there

C10
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
So no one has any input in this at all? Was kinda hoping Masters or someone knowledgeable could chime in .

racin29
07-06-2011, 12:32 PM
moving the bars to the outside would be a clearance thing, but also moving them you will take away some rr trail not a lot but a little i suppose an argument could be made that having them on the outside, closer to the wheel does something with wheel rate but i wouldnt think so on the right side your not on the bars overthere like the left for the right i would think how close the spring is to the wheel would be the rate changer, back to the bars there maybe a bind when the car is hiked up and that is why they are moving them

Kwaz-13
07-06-2011, 10:36 PM
This may or may not be relevant, but ever since I started running a 4-bar car, I've always been under the notion to keep the 4 bars parallel with the frame @ ride height. if trying to add/remove trail we adjust the length of the bars.

C10
07-07-2011, 12:12 AM
yeah I was wondering about the bind issue too, at ride height our rs bars are straight with the chassis, the left side not so much. With the LS mounted on the inside they still point inward at the front. Im thinkin that i need to possibly slide the bird cage inward a bit to get them straight at ride height?

vms
07-07-2011, 06:25 AM
My left side top bar was on the outside and i just moved it inside like u all said. I had to move the bircage over. Pretty sure there all suppose to be straight not angled at all.

hpmaster
07-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Not to disagree BUT.......I have found that often by putting all the bars straight at ride heigth you will have bars going into or very close to binding at full rear steer or interfering with shocks or other componets. I found through making more mistakes than most that the right upper bar needs to be pointed in at the top. You can also, I believe by changing how much the bar is toed in use this to help get drive off on slick and the bar is actualy near straight at full chassis roll, which I think is more important than at ride height. If you start out straight on the right upper you will end up with the right upper bar toed out at full chassis roll, pulling the birdcage away from the spring and the bar in a bind or darn near. Not too long ago I read a piece in Late Model magazine by Mark Bush that pretty much said the same thing. I have had bars inside and outside on 3 different types of birdcages on the same chassis. Truth is I don't think the car knew the differance. I came from leaf springs then swing arm cars now 4 -bar and all I can say is that many times I think 4 bars are more trouble to learn than anything I have had before. Take it or leave it, JMHO.

Graff Spee
07-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Hpmaster, I think you are correct. The car doesn't know anything. I would say that the bars should be as straight to the frame as possible at your most common dynamic ride height around the track. That way you are driving the chassis in a more direct manner as opposed to indirect side loading to create forward motion. (wasted energy). just my thoughts.