PDA

View Full Version : timing w/ IMCA spec heads

powerslide
07-05-2011, 12:25 PM
how much timing is everyone running? I bought a used one that was ran on gas w/ the 390 carb and it said 40degrees on the dyno sheet. I ran it last week at 36 w/ a 750cfm on ALCHY curious what others are running. please list if you are running gas or alchy. This is my only piece so cant afford to burn it down.

Thanks

rubbinsracin
07-05-2011, 01:21 PM
We're in the same boat as you. only motor we got. we run an 11-1 spec motor so we can race at several tracks in the area with a 4412. must run any stock style 64cc heads(we run the 462 double hump heads) with only a 3-angle valve job. flat top pistons. victor jr intake and no bigger than 360ci(we are at 358ci).

we have found that at about 32-34* is what ours likes the best. depending on conditions we might adjust the timing just a hair either way. we have found that when we had the motor dyno'ed they ran found that it made the most power at 36* with a 4bbl but when we set the car up with our 4412 it didnt want that much advance so we backed it down to 34* and eventually settled on 33* if i remember correctly.

C10
07-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Our IMCA spec late model engine with Brodix IMCA heads and intake with open carb is timed at 38. AEM who builds the majority of spec engines in our area IIRC are around 40. The Alum head engine can and does make a bit more power with more advance without detonation. We have to run Gas here per IMCA rules

powerslide
07-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Our IMCA spec late model engine with Brodix IMCA heads and intake with open carb is timed at 38. AEM who builds the majority of spec engines in our area IIRC are around 40. The Alum head engine can and does make a bit more power with more advance without detonation. We have to run Gas here per IMCA rules

This was a motor built by gustaf i think he is in the same general area as you guys. I am running it in a mod thats why the alchy and 750carb. Does gas or alchy tend to detonate sooner?

Rubbin my heads are a brodix alm spec head not a stock steel head. thanks though.

C10
07-05-2011, 03:33 PM
When I switched my drag car to E85 I had to add more advance. Your best bet would to be call Gustaf with any numbers off the heads or intake, this way he can tell you what it was dynoed at as far as timing goes.