PDA

View Full Version : Sail panel ?

inman20k
07-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I noticed that most of the usmts front runners use late model style (short) sail panels, I went threw there rules and did not see that you had to have the short panels. Are they better? Or what is the best style of sail panel?

1cln_sdime
07-05-2011, 10:39 PM
I noticed that most of the usmts front runners use late model style (short) sail panels, I went threw there rules and did not see that you had to have the short panels. Are they better? Or what is the best style of sail panel?

Have heard that style of sail panle is better for getting air to the spoiler, im not 100% sure though we run big sail's still i like the look alot better

inman20k
07-06-2011, 09:53 AM
yeah I like the big sail panels too. the other thing nice about them is then they are under 48 inches and that helps a ton when fitting them on a sheet of tin

rubbinsracin
07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
we had a USMTS show here a few weeks ago and we saw some that had the full open style sail panels that look like just a strap going vertical at the front of the panel and one that angles back towards the spoiler.

i found a picture of a Kelly Shryock car from from back in the day that has exactly what im trying to explain lol

http://www.usmts.com/news_article.asp?NewsID=4602

inman20k
07-07-2011, 08:43 AM
on the otherside of the coin UMP cars usualy have long sail panels. Is there any reason for this? and what way is the best?

dirttrackrocker
07-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Not sure about UMP, but, IMCA requires that they go all the way back to the rear of the quarter panel.

powerslide
07-07-2011, 11:36 AM
we had a USMTS show here a few weeks ago and we saw some that had the full open style sail panels that look like just a strap going vertical at the front of the panel and one that angles back towards the spoiler.

i found a picture of a Kelly Shryock car from from back in the day that has exactly what im trying to explain lol

http://www.usmts.com/news_article.asp?NewsID=4602

then they got the message that it was f'n fugly and changed back.

Dont know if anyone has ever noticed but it looks like moyer's cars have a bigger window opening on the right than they do on the left.

Mosidebite
07-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Have noticed that. In Florida we had to have them matched side to side. Had 2 in holes drilled in right side down low and UMP made us drill the left side to match.

LM14
07-07-2011, 08:40 PM
This year I made ours like the picture of Kelly's you found but with a 4" "B" pillar. A whole lot easier to fix and a lot less metal involved. We run IMCA with it.

SPark

1cln_sdime
07-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Have noticed that. In Florida we had to have them matched side to side. Had 2 in holes drilled in right side down low and UMP made us drill the left side to match.

What is the reason behind the holes whats it help?

BCR
07-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Does opening you sail panels do anything ?
In my rules, we are not aloowed to run a rear spoiler so I am wandering if there is any advantage to be gained or lossed ?

rubbinsracin
07-08-2011, 01:15 PM
i believe people run them so they can get more air to the spoiler. so if you cant run a spoiler i dont see much reason to cut holes in them other than to look different. i read our LM rules and they said you can run a hole or leave them full. but if you run a hole it has to be the same on both sides. and out sail panels must be 3 inches from the spoiler side bracing.

cavemod
07-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Not sure about UMP, but, IMCA requires that they go all the way back to the rear of the quarter panel.

IMCA does not require sails to go all the way to the rear but does say cannot go forward past the back of the seat and cannot extend no more then 2 " past the end of the body in the rear.must be same design side to side no more than 4" bow and 1" curve front to rear on slope.No minimum or maximum length can be opera or solid style.

LM14
07-09-2011, 10:00 AM
IMCA does not require sails to go all the way to the rear but does say cannot go forward past the back of the seat and cannot extend no more then 2 " past the end of the body in the rear.must be same design side to side no more than 4" bow and 1" curve front to rear on slope.No minimum or maximum length can be opera or solid style.

Yes, IMCA requires them to go to the tail of the car. Look at dimension picture attached to the rules. The very last sentance at the bottom right side of the page says:

SAIL PANELS: Must extend from roof to rear
of car and be the same on both sides.
May extend 2” maximum past rear edge of
interior deck. Must mount within 2" of
outside edge of interior deck.

SPark

liledwards99
07-10-2011, 08:45 PM
basically the longer sail panel will create more side force. the more flat surface u have on the right side of a racecar will create more side force. thats why if you look at all the late model guys they dont put any type of bow or bend in the door or quarter because then the air would roll off the door. earlier in the year i had my whole right side bowed in the opposite way to get the air to stay on the door. the shorter sails will allow the air to get to the spoiler better thus creating more rear downforce. You would actually be suprised but the spoiler sides itself almost create as much downforce as the spoiler itself specially if you are running 4 spoiler sides (2 on the outside 2 on the inside)