PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a metric car three wheel

adelvecchio3169n
07-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm running a metric car in a stock class. We are not allowed to modify suspension mounting points nor are we allowed to run offset bushings. All suspension components must be stock OEM. Any advice would be appreciated.

racer96x
07-08-2011, 09:47 PM
The only way I would think you could get the LF in the air is by a extremely light spring on the RR and and empty dummy shock. Realistically you really won't get the tire off the ground, but you will get some lift. 4 tires on the ground is much faster and controllalbe than 3.

joshfranklinmotorsports
07-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Have about 200# of ballast high and to the left over the rear end.... Get your ride heights up to about 9in in the rear. Run about 200lbs of bite. Run a tie down RR shock and a mild LF, maybe even an easy up... About a 175# spring in the RR... And that should get you going for starters... Just remember a 3wheel set up is not always the fastest, and if you get back to the gas to quick, you are going to push up to the wall...

Please ad NitroCult Racing, Fabrication, and Apparel to your Facebook friends... Thanks!

http://youtu.be/vC1QNZ6yWyo

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/NitroCult-Racing-and-Apparel/125935814140170

adelvecchio3169n
07-09-2011, 11:28 PM
That sounds like a good start. Now its how to get 200lbs of weight past tech. Not allowed to add weight. Thanks for ur input.

Graff Spee
07-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Thats easy, set it up wrong!!! LOL

stock car driver
07-27-2011, 01:20 PM
This is last Thursday at a USRA Iron Man race. 4412 carb, hump 406, 225# rr spring...

rr tire was low on psi so no stagger in rear and lots of extra rr grip. I got passed in this heat race by a car. Its not the fast way around the track...

I did win the feature though but the track was a lot drier and I replaced the leaking rr tire so I had some stagger!

Im putting in a good motor now. I blew up two earlier in the year turning too many rpms and hooked up flexing the lw steel cranks.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu150/jnjfab/66%20Racing/Jeff-Joldersma-Bloomfield-Speedway-July-21_MG_7883.jpg

roybeckett13j
07-27-2011, 06:53 PM
There was an IMCA stock 3 wheelin at my local track this weekend, won the heat, but went backwards when it got super slipery dry.

stock car driver
07-27-2011, 07:13 PM
There was an IMCA stock 3 wheelin at my local track this weekend, won the heat, but went backwards when it got super slipery dry.

He probably did it with the usual no rr spring rate... I didnt change a thing but the leaking rr tire for the main and won the A.

It was my biggest win ever by far. USRA Iron Man race, national champions, super nationals winners, usra national champions, 5-6 guys with over 100 wins etc were in the field.

started 5th got to 2nd in 2 laps, back to 4th, 4 wide on a green white checker restart and got the W! 25 lap feature.

roybeckett13j
07-27-2011, 08:46 PM
nice win!

Sitting in staging the car looked to be sitting near level, but the left rear trailing arm was almost touching the ground. looked fishy to me! defiantly not IMCA legal, think the max is 7 inches from housing?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=127708087320921&set=a.127706850654378.28819.100002451905384&type=1

and if you can see that picture, thats what the car would do going into the corner! just...odd!

stock car driver
07-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Yikes I had that issue of planting the rf on entry with ump d tires, they durometer in the 40s... way to soft for my set up. I actually got on my rs tires twice, way way way up almost over on entry to the corner on a fairly flat track with some moisture on the bottom...

not sure the exact imca rule. I prepare my car and go for it. I could care less about what anyone else has or does.

checkersorwreckers
07-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Who were the nationals champions and super nationals winners u raced with stock car?

stock car driver
07-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Steve Jackson has won 3 or 4 national titles and super nats 4-5 times, nathan wood, matt greiner usra champions, jason cook has won a lot of usra and imca same with mike vandengeren off the top of my head.

stock car driver
07-28-2011, 03:28 PM
I got a pm that I have left a bunch out.

Just to be fair. I race with 5 time and 4 time Stock car national champions Jeff Anderson and Mike Nichols most any time I race near home. I race agains Brands who won two super nationals regularly and the Smith brothers who are hobby and stock car national champions all the time.

I wasnt implying that the USRA National champs are above the IMCA etc. I was just saying the USRA Iron Man Series races are loaded with huge talent. I dont really even know the USRA stats on their national titles etc.

Ricky76
07-28-2011, 03:53 PM
How in the world can you run a 225# on the rr when the track slicks over ? If I do that, my car has no roll over and wants to slide up the track.

stockcar5
07-28-2011, 03:59 PM
raise your lead up, raise your lower trailer arms as close as they can go to the axle tubes to lower the roll center. it will roll plenty. my car 3 wheels bad if i leave my trailing arms level when its tacky. i normally run a 225 rr spring.

stock car driver
07-28-2011, 04:05 PM
How in the world can you run a 225# on the rr when the track slicks over ? If I do that, my car has no roll over and wants to slide up the track.

What luke said is correct. I dont ever move my arms though, too much of a pain.

To free my car up on tacky I usually run a stiffer rr shock and more psi and stagger in the rr tire. I also have a 2 inch spacer Ill put over there for tacky heats at times..

I FEEL that the stiffer rr gives me side bite expecially on dry, I have ran 175/150/120 rr etc and it FEELS to me like maybe the car just falls over but doesnt have the ability to push the tire into the ground?

Thats the best I can describe how I got to where Im at set up wise. It works for me and Im not really trying NEW stuff anymore.

Fyi- Ive only got 25-75 of lead in my car usually its so heavy the USRA techs arent worried about scaling me anymore. Im at 3050 with zero lead on USRA Ar tires.

My cell is 1.5 below my trunk lid, my fire bottle is shoulder height my battery is as high as the cell etc.

Ricky76
07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
I've never tried a 225# on the rr, but I may try it this weekend ? I tried not to put very much lead behind the axles, but when I did that, it didn't have any rear %. I've got my lead over the axles and a few pieces on the rear frame rails. The lead over the axles is up pretty high and my fuel cell and battery are up high.

Ricky76
07-29-2011, 11:06 AM
I thought for more forward bite, you wanted the lower rear trailing arms to be mounted low and not up close to the axle tubes ?

stock car driver
07-29-2011, 12:33 PM
I thought for more forward bite, you wanted the lower rear trailing arms to be mounted low and not up close to the axle tubes ?

I strongly disagree with that notion.. Ive lowered one and both arms and it FEELS like it adds traction because the car hikes up even in the pits, but once it gets to the top of the hike it has less traction than before in my opinion. Ive tried it up and down a few times on practice days at tracks.

As for the lead behind your axle. I would rather have low rear than lead back there. I have no more than 52 rear EVER. That 52 is when I add about 100 over what I normally race at. I do have a full trunk lid and about a 50lb rear bumper. But no lead.

My car transfers wt better than yours will with the lead behind the axle. With wt behind the axle it CANT get transfered to the front it is behind the axle holding the rear down like a teeter totter with more wt on one end over the other. If you put that wt on the teeter totter closer to the middle it will then go up and down easier.

Same with our cars. If you spring your car to transfer wt you wont need the excessive static % others claim to need.

Im usually around 49 rear.

My numbers are NO driver in the car and half tank of fuel like after the feature. My rear does go up a percent when I get in I think.

Ricky76
07-29-2011, 03:10 PM
So you think I should raise my lower rear trailing arms up for more forward bite ?

stock car driver
07-29-2011, 03:38 PM
So you think I should raise my lower rear trailing arms up for more forward bite ?

Mine are always in the top holes. Its not so much more bite but consistent traction.

Ricky76
08-01-2011, 10:38 AM
By putting them in the top holes, will that take away pinion angle ?

stock car driver
08-01-2011, 10:43 AM
No the holes on my brackets are in a arch the rearend doesnt move when changing holes.