PDA

View Full Version : Summer Spectacular marks the return of UMP DIRTcar Racing to I-96 Speedway Sat. 7/16

Matt Prieur
07-12-2011, 09:58 AM
I-96 Speedway Contact: Mike Mouch
For Immediate Release: 616-642-0555

Summer Spectacular marks the return of UMP DIRTcar Racing to I-96 Speedway THIS Saturday, July 16th

Lake Odessa, Michigan (Tuesday, July 12th, 2011): After taking the last couple of weekends off for various special events, the cars and stars of the United Midwestern Promoters (UMP) DIRTcar Racing Series return to action at I-96 Speedway in Lake Odessa, Michigan on Saturday, July 16th with a full four in one show in the running of the Summer Spectacular!

The premiere division at I-96 within the UMP DIRTcar Racing Series, the Tinney Automotive UMP Late Models ($1,200 to win - $200 to start - $50 tow money) will highlight the nights racing action and are coming off a very successful UMP Summer Nationals Hell Tour race back on June 26th which saw 46 teams invade and in the end, the big 40-lap feature was won by Moweaqua, Illinois standout, Shannon Babb.

They'll be joined by the Lane Automotive UMP Modifieds ($500 to win - $125 to start - $25 tow money), Renegade Racing Fuels & Lubricants UMP Street Stocks ($300 to win - $100 to start - $25 tow money), and Jim's Auto Body of Portland UMP Sport Compacts ($125 to win - $25 to start - $25 tow money). All four divisions will take on the lightning fast 3/8s (0.375) mile high-banked dirt oval.

Heading into this weekend, Traverse City, Michigan standout, Brandon Thirlby carries a slim 10-point lead over Muskegon, Michigan’s Tom Sprague Jr., in the chase for the 2011 Tinney Automotive UMP Late Models Track Championship. Zack Olger is not so far behind as the St. Johns, Michigan star is just nine markers back of Sprague Jr. Houghton Lake, Michigan pilot, Dona Marcoullier and Coleman, Michigan veteran, Curtis Roberts round out the top five.

Dave Hartman sits sixth while Two-Time and Defending Track Champion, Eric Spangler is seventh in the points. Dan Hubbell, Ben Hidy and Park City, Utah freshman, Kathy Jarvis are the current top 10. Jarvis also leads the 2011 Rookie of the Year title chase as the Professional stuntwoman holds down a 23-point advantage over fellow rookie, Jason Wiley of Fenwick, Michigan.

In the battle for the 2011 Lane Automotive UMP Modifieds Track Championship, Lowell, Michigan veteran, Mark Anderson, who is also the current UMP DIRTcar racing Michigan State Points Leader, carries an 18-point advantage over Spring Lake, Michigan rising star, Jacob Poel while Ionia, Michigan driver, Travis Stemler sits comfortably in third while former two-time track champion (2008 and 2009) Ada, Michigan veteran, Todd Feutz and Clarksville, Michigan driver, John McClure wrap up the current top five.

Veteran Tim Stemler sits sixth while Ken Beutler, Kyle Roberts, Andy Sprague, and Defending Track Champion, Rich Robinson Jr., complete the current top 10. 16-year-old Rookie, Josh Crane, who makes the trip from Rochester Hills, Michigan on Saturday nights, leads the 2011 Rookie of the Year title chase by a somewhat comfortable 45 point margin over Vermontville, Michigan’s Marty French.

As for the battle for the Track Championship within the Renegade Racing Fuels & Lubricants UMP Street Stocks, Lake Odessa, Michigan’s own, Bill Brandt Jr., is having a career season as he leads Defending Track Champion, Gary Vandermark of Lowell, Michigan by 22 points. 2009 Track Champion, Clarksville, Michigan standout, Aaron Wolf sits third over 2010 Rookie of the Year, Belding, Michigan sophomore, Ron Harper and former UMP Sport Compacts Track Champion, Hillary Smith as both Harper and Smith are tied for fourth and complete the current top five.

Jay Chlebek currently is sixth while Union Mills, Indiana traveler, Cody Denny is seventh. Belding, Michigan freshman, Bruce Howe is eighth overall while Josh Frye and David Grega finish off the current top 10 in the season long points chase. Howe leads the 2011 Rookie of the Year title chase by 56 markers over Olivet, Michigan rookie, Keith Shumaker.

Finally in the Jim’s Auto Body of Portland UMP Sport Compacts, 2010 18 and Over Rookie of the Year, Hastings, Michigan sophomore, Rick Peck carries a whopping 55-point advantage over Grand Rapids, Michigan driver, Tim Horvath II while Defending Track Champion, Ada, Michigan’s Dan Reimersma is currently third in the title chase. Current 18 and Over Rookie of the Year Points Leader, Lowell, Michigan’s Mike Vezino is fourth overall in the points chase with fellow 18 and Over Rookie title contender, Delton, Michigan’s Kyle Brigance rounding out the top five.

Greg Pinard currently holds down the sixth spot while 15-year-old Jordan King is seventh. Scott Rumsey, J.T. Leach, and Caleb Schuiling are the current top 10. This division has two Rookie of the Year titles, one for drivers 18 and Over and one for drivers 17 and Under. Vezino leads Brigance in the 18 and Over category by 29 points while King, who calls Clarksville, Michigan home, leads the 17 and Under Freshman title chase by 22 points over 10-year-old Grand Rapids, Michigan youngster, Christopher Joyce.

For Saturday, July 16th, the Pit Gates open at 3:00p.m. Grandstand Gates open at 5:00p.m., with Practice (Hot Laps) starting at 6:00p.m. Then after the Pre-Race Ceremonies / Invocation / National Anthem(s), Racing begins promptly at 7:00p.m. Ticket Prices for Saturday, July 16th are: Adults (13-61): $12.00, Seniors (62 and Over): $8.00, Children (6-12): $5.00, Kids (5 and Under): FREE. Family Pass (A Family Pass will get 2 Adults and 2 Children into the races. Once inside, the Kid’s Club is Free for the Kids!): $30.00. Finally, Pit Passes: $25.00.

Camping is allowed every weekend in 2011 for absolutely Free. For more information regarding the 2011 racing season at I-96 Speedway, please call: 1 (616) 642-0555 or visit the website at: www.i96speedway.com You can also follow the entire 2011 season in Lake Odessa, Michigan by becoming a fan on the tracks Facebook Fan Page. Just go to: www.facebook.com and search “I-96 Speedway” and click on “Like” today. You can even follow us on Twitter, just go to: www.twitter.com and search “I-96 Speedway”