PDA

View Full Version : bad day......

rubbinsracin
07-12-2011, 02:10 PM
so we had a bad night this week and slid up into the wall. had all the parts to put it back together, however, the upper A-arm mounts were torn lose from the frame. this leads to my question.

has anyone had any luck in pulling these back, welding them and going back to racing?

ofcourse we will be going back through and setting all of our figures. caster, camber, angles, ride height....all that good sufff.

dualdj1
07-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Well, as long as you get them as close to the original location as possible, you should be ok. even if they're off a little, you'll just use more/less shims to get your alignment right, but if you align properly then your geometry should be ok.

sj valley dave
07-12-2011, 03:41 PM
We just got two new uprights from GRT, cut out the old, ground everything smooth located them where the old ones were and welded them in place..No problems..

rubbinsracin
07-12-2011, 03:43 PM
thats what were hoping. were taking it the the frame shop tonight and hopefully it can be bent back really close and welded really close. probably weld in some type of additional support to keep everything together.

sj valley dave
07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Don't go too radical with additional bracing...Those up rights are kind of meant to bend/break fairly easily so the energy doesn't bend your front clip, which obviously is a way worse situation! LOL

hpmaster
07-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Lazer Bernheisel uses 11/4" round up right tubes and slider clamps for the upper control arms, I put them on my GRT in 2009. In the 2 1/2 years of runnin it I got my left front corner run over breaking the upper control arm, spindle and ball joints but the round clamp just turned and slid a bit but didn't bend nothin on the chassis. We reset the new upper control arm and all was good. I think that is the way to go.

rubbinsracin
07-13-2011, 01:48 PM
sj - good point. we ended up just welding the to repair what was damaged. we also checked all the welds around it and found a couple of little cracks and welded them up too. so the only added strength is in new welds.

hp - the guy who bought our old car do that to his. he really likes it. we might try it next year. have yo ever had any problems with them sliding/moving on their own?

hpmaster
07-13-2011, 03:23 PM
No never moved untill it REALLY needed to to save the chassis. I have talked to two other Lazer owners and they both have had them twist in a crash saving the chassis but never had them move an other time.