PDA

View Full Version : What kind of ball joint on a metric chassis?

zhochgesang
07-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Iwas wondering what the best type of ball joint is to get for my metric front end. Should I go with chryslers or do the standard size metric ones work pretty good?

Moldymulldoon
07-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Do the rules allow you to use the tubular uppers? I have seen the Chrysler screw in ball joints to be stronger in the A frame construction than the bolt in style. They are welded to the threaded 'tube and seem to be much tougher in resisting getting bent. The bolt in style want to bend where they are welded to the flat stock for the bolt in ball joint..

The ball joint itself... BOTH will bend. Being a longer shaft the length is its weak point. Shorter length joints are pretty stout. Chrysler screw in and a longer spindle, could be an option for a stouter set up.

Using the spindle assembly as a weak point in the chassis will save the chassis and mounts... Easier to change a bent control arm, then to have chassis put on alignment machine. Cheaper light weight wheels, take up alot of the abuse from banging wheels... they can be bent back 'almost straight.
LONG story short. Wheels.... ball joint.... control arms. weaker parts will save the more expensive time consuming items.

Moldy.

bushracing67
07-16-2011, 09:18 AM
screw in ball joints are the best way to go, saves a lot of time, and they are twice as strong as the metric, i was nervous when i bought up all the stuff, when i saw them i figured they would never bend... but they do, and they bend before anything else so they are still the weak point, that and inner tie rods, i bend them bastards like crazy running the 10" wheels with late model tires i have bent inner tie rods on a rough track no contact with other cars at all lol

stock car driver
07-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Standard work fine. Moog brand are stronger than others.

pumpkin joe
08-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Qa 1 rebuildable the best you can buy